Thread: Ken Burns "Vietnam"

Ken Burns "Vietnam"

Has anyone been keeping up with the Ken Burns series on PBS? I think it is his usual attention to detail and interest, but even a little higher production quality than some of his other historical perspectives. Maybe partially because it is more relevant to my generation and age group? I was draft eligible in the early 70's and breathed a sigh of relief when my lottery number for the draft came up high. My father was a WWII, but by then the popular tide was turning and he was against me going. I have a friend who was involved in the Tet offensive. He has only talked about it once.

I heard a reviewer say it is the first time in modern American history when there was a general distrust of government and politicians. I'm not sure if that is accurate, but it was sure a decisive time that has affected our current culture. The series isn't just about the war, but also the politicians and social events surrounding it. I tend to think we didn't learn all the lessons that history provided.

I am going to have to watch it again. So full of details. So emotional. Tries to tie in what was happening at home, the message being given by government, and what was happening in Vietnam. So many raised the alarm.

I have been fascinated. So many details that I had never known. It was winding down when I was in HS and I remember that I wore a POW/MIA bracelet for years. I just got back from DC where I visited the memorial and looked for his name.

I have been watching the special and find it interesting especially all the early history leading up to it as I did not know much of that. My older brother was in the Special Forces in Nam when I was in high school. I vividly recall watching the news every night with my Mom and all the never-ending casualties but I could not have known how anxious she must have been about whether he would return. Somehow, he made it back alive and all in one piece. Watching the show brings it all back. Why oh why do we keep repeating these things?

So far I have just watched the first episode on Netflix but intend to watch them all. Being a teenager/early 20's during the height of the war I do remember it, but the early history I am so vague on. I knew the war had been going on long before we got involved, I knew it had something to do with the French, but beyond that I didn't know much. So, this is enlightening. Heartbreaking at the same time however.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thread Information