Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Critique my dating profile!

Critique my dating profile!

I am asking for thoughts, insights, and advice about my dating profile. Here is the text from it.

My self-summary:
    What I look for most in a potential partner are compassion, good conversation, mutual physical attraction, and a similar lifestyle.

I am passionate about simple living and I'm a practicing minimalist. I own very few things. It is perhaps noteworthy that I don't have a TV, a cell phone, or a Facebook.

I enjoy reading, daily meditation, and I am very involved in my community through volunteering.

I have an awesome rescue dog. His name is Harlan.

And I don't mind saying I am a little bit country boy, a little bit Vulcan, and an old school liberal.

What I’m doing with my life:
    Reading, meditating, taking classes, spending time with friends.

As for work, I have been doing some financial research at a university for a few years now.

I’m really good at:

Spooning.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food:
    Books: Steppenwolf, Walden, Cat's Cradle, Infidel, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Welcome to the Monkey House, Redefining Realness, Walden On Wheels, Blindness, The Cave, Beneath The Wheel, Meridian, The Big Tiny, Brave New World.

Movies: Idiocracy, Happy Happy, Planet of The Apes (all of them! haha), Mad Max II and VI, Food, Inc.

Music: David Bowie, Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan, Donna Summer, Nina Simone, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Hank Jr., and Alice Cooper

Food: Indian, Ethiopian, Middle Eastern, home cooking. I also love fresh fruits -- berries, grapefruit, bananas, melons, oranges, papaya, mango!

I don't own a TV, so I am unfamiliar with most shows.

Six things I could never do without:

I am a minimalist and live very simply, so I don't need much to be content.

A book is ever-present in my life though I keep my collection at the public libraries.

I spend a lot of time thinking about:

The future of humankind and the environment.

On a typical Friday night I am:

Hanging out with friends, fishing at a lake, cycling along the river, or maybe reading a book.

You should message me if:

You have that kind of chutzpah! haha

You are also looking for a potential life partner.

You would like a platonic travelin' buddy!

That is really well worded. I think it succinctly captures the essence of what you are looking for, without venturing into rigid boxes and rules.

Williamsmith
    You said nothing about absolutely positively not wanting anything to do with being a father. That is important.....Especially for someone who dwells on the future of mankind.

And as a minimalist.....I would expect you to be able to create a profile with 200 words or less.

You surely have put a lot of thought into your profile. I am glad there were no dating profiles or even the thought of one when I was dating. Much overthinking I think. I still say when you find love, when you fine the one, you will know it and you will not have to weigh this and that to know it is right. When I met the man who became my husband I was immediately attracted to him and if you asked me what it was I could not list a thing.....maybe one, he was tall and handsome (he still is).

I would suggest that you include atheist and opposed to fatherhood in your profile. It will reduce the number of dates you get, but save you from a lot of wasted time and frustration. Also straight edge. All of those are more informative and specific than "country boy, Vulcan, and old school liberal." (Country boy has a lot of connotations for me - you covered some of them elsewhere, Vulcan - you are unemotional, logical, and a Trekkie?, "old school liberal" - what does that even mean?)

At your age (which is not advanced!) you definately have to mention NO CHILDREN in your future.

I think what you have is great, very well worded, and really conveys who you are. But I think it does not go far enough--I would add

Teetotaler or however you want to put it

Atheist

No kids wanted

As others say, it might eliminate some people, but they are probably people you would eliminate yourself anyway, as these are the non-negotiables you talk about, and what you can't stand. So be up front and get it out there, so they can self select out or in.

But it's great, really good!

Also wanted to add have you thought about adding a training class for Harlan? We have our puppy in a training class and I swear, PetSmart seems to be the pick up place for the over 40 set. Very fun for the dogs, and they have agility as well as the obedience basics, intermediate, and advanced. It's fun to be around other dog people.

Agreeing with the others the three things you've mentioned the most here (no alcohol, no religion, no kids) are the three things you left off. Don't lie or mislead about what is really most important - sure you narrow the pool but you also reduce first date expenses.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Also wanted to add have you thought about adding a training class for Harlan? We have our puppy in a training class and I swear, PetSmart seems to be the pick up place for the over 40 set. Very fun for the dogs, and they have agility as well as the obedience basics, intermediate, and advanced. It's fun to be around other dog people.
    That is a great idea.

I still cant understand UL's rigid " no drinking" rule. So if there is a woman out there who loves to cook and would enjoy evenigs together cooking, and 1- 3 glasses of wine throughout 3 hours of cooking and eating, that eliminates her?

This is not reasonable.

My mother had a similar horror of alcohol consumption, it was unreasonable. I remember that my dad stopped drinking the occasional beer when my brother became of an age where he knew what was going on because they didnt want him around alcohol. Looking back, I think that was excessive behavior. No one in our family drank wine, we were blue collar on that side, and had no European backgrou d that would provide this tradition. Neither were we German and beer drinkers,but my uncles did have occasional beers. All in all, alcohol was not part of our family life.

there is the theory that wine with dinner traches children appropriate ha its with alcohol.

Thread Information