Thread: GOP Dropping Latest ObamaCare repeal effort......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

GOP Dropping Latest ObamaCare repeal effort......

I was going through texts I have received this morning and I found a very uplifting one from one of my fellow 85006 activists - and I also looked it up online to verify before posting this this time - to the effect that the GOP is dropping it's latest efforts to repeal ObamaCare. And what's more, as of September 30th, they need 60 votes to make any changes, meaning the GOP will need some Democratic support to make any changes to ObamaCare. Phew.....So many people in the 85006 depend on Medicaid - I know people who are unable to work due for legitimate reasons and I personally don't mind paying into the system for their health care. Just glad that the GOP is not going to be able to extinguish hope and lives. I may complain a lot but today I'm grateful for this much, and it's a big deal to be grateful for, too. Rob

Related, just got notification from our State Insurance Commissioner indicating they've approved plans/rates for the coming year for our affordable care:

"Rates for the health plans certified represent a 24 percent increase over those available through the Exchange for 2017 coverage. "

Somehow our Commissioner allows insurers to redline zipcodes, seemingly by age demographic, so insurers are thin on the ground in this elderly rural county, along with several others.

Yppej
    It would help a lot of folks hit by this redlining if the Sanders plan to drop the eligibility age for Medicare to 55 goes through, and private insurers shouldn't mind too much offloading older, sicker individuals. Plus they would still make money off all the gap policies. This may gain traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It would help a lot of folks hit by this redlining if the Sanders plan to drop the eligibility age for Medicare to 55 goes through, and private insurers shouldn't mind too much offloading older, sicker individuals. Plus they would still make money off all the gap policies. This may gain traction.
    I despair of this ever happening. Our otherwise reliably progressive senators are both in the tank for Pharma. I guess that's where they get the big bucks.

Many people on Medicaid are old, disabled or the working poor. I too Rob am glad they did not succeed. Bae, something needs to be done because the ACA is becoming unaffordable. The 2 parties used to work together many years ago to solve problems and they need to do so again.

Patty Murray and LaMar Alexander were in talks to improve Obamacare before this later push to scuttle it. The Koch brothers wanted what they wanted. Word has it the bipartisan talks will resume.

Looks like the administration has left any repeal of the ACA behind, and the next focus is corporate and individual tax cuts.
    Per USA Today, Trump said "We're the highest-taxed nation in the developed world [sic] and we want to become one of the lowest. The jobs will start pouring in from all over the world coming back to our country." He has asked his staff to confirm this plan would represent "the biggest tax cut in American history."

Here we go. Anyone remember this: fixthedebt.org President Obama was told early and often that the national debt was the most pressing issue and had to be fixed. Now that an R is in charge, that issue disappears.

Only problem, we are not the most heavily taxed. Others are taxed much higher, however includes medical care. Shaking my head here

Thread Information