Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "White Athletes Still Standing For The Anthem Are Standing For White Supremacy"

Williamsmith
    I am finding it harder and harder to be white anymore. As a retired white police officer, I must be a racist. I stand for the national anthem, I must be a racist. I live in a condo, I must be a racist. I don't have any African American heritage that I know of although my wife has course black hair and I am curious about that.....but still I must be a racist. I just need a guy like Jesse to tell me....how do I make it right? Maybe he could write a book of rules for whitey. You know, tell me how he managed to be saved from racism.

"...the asymmetrical hoarding of resources by whites..."

I have a new job title! Hoarder Of Resources!

I wish you'd quit with this "fellow lefty" stuff, or is that just a conceit for the sake of argument? Tiresome, anyway.
    kinda. the truth is probably more something like: lots of people out there are not too bright, and some of them are on the left, and some of them are not. But can't start an argument about whole groups of people so easily that way.

The issue I have with the article: yes there is systematic racism, but not all whites exactly have it great either (what so wonderful about being dirt poor and white anyway? nor do I wish I had a profession that caused me concussions and brain damage, honestly it's hard to think of people like that as particularly priviledged ... but to each there own on that one).

But also it's stupid because you simply can't read non-ambiguity into ambiguous symbols. Wearing white klan sheets isn't exactly ambiguous and I wouldn't bother with anyone saying it is as one is never going to convince someone that far gone from the realm of *shared* meaning, but the U.S. flag IS ambiguous, and has no such shared meaning, as it means different things to different people.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    But also it's stupid because you simply can't read non-ambiguity into ambiguous symbols. Wearing white klan sheets isn't exactly ambiguous frankly and I wouldn't bother with anyone arguing it is as really one is never going to convince someone that far gone from the realm of shared meaning, but the U.S. flag IS ambigous as it means different things to different people.
    Don't get me started on the flag--It just means "unattractive design" to me. I like Canada's. Or Norway's. Or Japan's.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am trying to figure it out, the constant racist name calling.
    I think it's simply a lazy, disingenuous means of shutting down discourse and has been going on for years. And it's not just the racist tag, it's also all the others such as sexist, ageist, homophobe, misogynist, etc., that are thrown around so glibly these days.

If you didn't vote for Obama in 2008 or 2012, you were a racist.
    If you think a baker or photographer should be able to turn down business that clashes with their religious beliefs, you're a homophobe, and probably a racist too.
    If you believe the government should not be able to force you to purchase a product you do not want, or pay a premium for services you do not need, you're a racist who hates women and wants poor people to die.
    If your religious belief's ground you in the idea that birth control is a sin and you resist government's efforts to force you to pay for them anyway, you hate women, and are probably a racist.
    If you believe that we all should judge people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, oddly enough you're still a racist.
    If you believe that a fetus is a human life, worthy of all the protections of their born counterparts, you're not only a racist but you also hate women.
    Now, if your sense of duty and honor forbid you from performing cheap kneeling theatrics in the public sphere, you're obviously a racist.

The problem is, if you're not a racist or whatever get's the most bang for the progressive buck, these name callers might have to apply reason to their argument, and that's hard.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think there are any number of explanations:

I think you're right that we all harbor some degree of prejudiced thoughts and impulses. In some cases, crying "racist" may be a way of dealing with one's own secret guilt.

Some people have the honest, genuinely held belief that true justice can operate at the wholesale as well as the retail level.

It may be as simple and frivolous as virtue-signalling.

It may be a way to exercise a certain kind of power. A sort of shaming technique to avoid engaging opposing ideas, vis. the "wear the ribbon" episode of Seinfeld.

Like many forms of insult and accusation, it is weakened by overuse.
    yes, overuse is a big problem.

Calling out " racist" is a shaming action, and I got nothin' against "shame" as a tool for social coercion.But overuse--that is gonna backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I wish you'd quit with this "fellow lefty" stuff, or is that just a conceit for the sake of argument? Tiresome, anyway.
    Wish in one and ____ in the other. See which gives you results first.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Just sometimes?

So while their lumping everybody together in one category (racist, trump lover, etc. etc. etc), your doing the same act by lumping all liberal talk the same? I would think this means there can't be a discussion, if your looking at everything as dumb stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So while their lumping everybody together in one category (racist, trump lover, etc. etc. etc), your doing the same act by lumping all liberal talk the same? I would think this means there can't be a discussion, if your looking at everything as dumb stuff.
    Could be....Just pointing out how discussions on those subjects always end.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I feel your pain, Alan, having to support us and all.

Back when I was paying outsized federal taxes, I never minded contributing my share for anything that made people's lives a little better, but I resented the hell out of helping to finance endless wars, killing actual full-fledged human non-combatants around the world. So I can see how you would be peeved to be forced--as we all are as taxpayers--to foot the bill for programs you don't approve of.

(I've read repeatedly that 99% of females will/do use birth control in their lifetimes. That seems a little high to me, but I'm surprised that anyone would seriously contest a development so overwhelmingly embraced by so many.)

Thread Information