Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: "White Athletes Still Standing For The Anthem Are Standing For White Supremacy"

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I don't see cases like that being so much a case of telling people what to believe as much as telling them what to do: kick in for abortion funding, bake the wedding cake, and so forth.

I think we may drift a bit in the direction of thought policing when people like Dianne Feinstein question whether orthodox Catholics should serve on the Federal bench, but she's a fairly silly outlier. I think it's more about power than belief.
    Doing what is against your values, is very much what slavery is. It isn't just catholic's either (we allow tax exemptions for all religions, so they don't pay what their followers are forced to).
    Then again, belief itself is about power. You believe that someone is in charge, because they are closer to some magical turtle who created the universe, or you believe that x, would make a better person to control you then y and then offer them that power.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Not quite the same, in my example it would be requiring people without children to purchase the car seats.
    Want a car. Spend an extra $132 or $142 to buy one with a backup camera to protect the kids you may or may not have.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Which we do with things like school taxes already.
    Except everyone forgets, Who paid for public school when you were growing up? Yes, everyone in the community who agreed it would be a good idea to educate the younger generation. And I'm thankful that was a mandated part of our government so myself and those my age would get a free public education. I don't recall any adults back then complaining that they did not have children, or that they only had 1 and your family has 6, etc.

Now it's our turn.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And I'm nominally Catholic...
    What is a nominal Catholic?

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Except everyone forgets, Who paid for public school when you were growing up? Yes, everyone in the community who agreed it would be a good idea to educate the younger generation. And I'm thankful that was a mandated part of our government so myself and those my age would get a free public education. I don't recall any adults back then complaining that they did not have children, or that they only had 1 and your family has 6, etc.

Now it's our turn.
    Perhaps another way of thinking about this is that we all benefited from, or at least had the opportunity to do so, from public education when we were kids. Now that we're adults our taxes go to educating the next generation, and when they become adults they'll pay for the next generation and so on. We could apply that same mindset to healthcare. At some point in everyone's lives most everyone will need healthcare. If the government, through some sort of taxes, paid for it through a medicare for all system, we would all pay into the system when we were healthy and benefit from it when we are sick.

What is a nominal Catholic?
    In name only, as in baptized and on the rolls somewhere as a Catholic. My prospective godmother insisted.

In name only, as in baptized and on the rolls somewhere as a Catholic. My prospective godmother insisted.
    The more proper term might be "lapsed" or "apostate". There used to be a formal process for renouncing Church membership (they even had a form) for certain Canon Law purposes, but they discontinued it some years ago. I'm not sure when the last time was that they excommunicated someone. I hear it's an impressive ceremony.

I'm not sure what insight either lapsed or active status in the Church provides on the topic of the dangers of Catholics in positions of power. It may already be too late. Despite Senator Feinstein's vigilance, there are already five on the Supreme Court. Six, if you count Justice Gorsuch, who like you left the Church to consort with the upstart Episcopalians.

The more proper term might be "lapsed" or "apostate". There used to be a formal process for renouncing Church membership (they even had a form) for certain Canon Law purposes, but they discontinued it some years ago. I'm not sure when the last time was that they excommunicated someone. I hear it's an impressive ceremony.

I'm not sure what insight either lapsed or active status in the Church provides on the topic of the dangers of Catholics in positions of power. It may already be too late. Despite Senator Feinstein's vigilance, there are already five on the Supreme Court. Six, if you count Justice Gorsuch, who like you left the Church to consort with the upstart Episcopalians.
    Not really--you have to have had some affiliation to have lapsed, I think.

I look forward to the time when non-believers can aspire to the highest offices in the land without apology--putting an end to the embarrassing spectacle of holy hypocrites pretending to be church-goers.

Williamsmith

I look forward to the time when non-believers can aspire to the highest offices in the land without apology--putting an end to the embarrassing spectacle of holy hypocrites pretending to be church-goers.
    To that end, you ought to thank the Rust Belt for making sure this zealot didn't rise to the highest office in the land.

https://youtu.be/5f_kZ9Ims-A

The Church regards baptized but non-practicing Catholics as lapsed. It's like the Mafia in that there is no mechanism for cancelling your subscription. The bitter centuries have taught the Church both hope and patience; and the entry fee was non-refundable.

Of all the many shades of hypocrisy on display, the religious variety seems to me increasingly unimportant. Outside shrinking parts of bitter clinger territory, I doubt public religiousity is much of a benefit. Better to claim the mantle of a bold free-thinker as you adhere minutely to the orthodoxies of the moment. At most, you sometimes see examples of what are colloquially called "Cafeteria Catholics", who attempt to pick and choose articles of faith for political convenience. Other faiths have the similar types.

Thread Information