Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Drag Queen Story Time"at the public library

"Drag Queen Story Time"at the public library

I kid you not, it is a real thing.

I like a good drag show and Queens as much as anyone, and I even enjoy a BAD drag show, but really, this just seems too try hard.

Small children in St. Louis certainly got their dose of Diversity today.

Attached Images Attached Images

I expect those that walked there locally, did. Then parents of those that didn't want to see it, would take their children and leave.

Dressing up drag is a different variant on Halloween, but times change I guess.

i suppose that once you boil it all down it's just someone in a crazy costume, who knows how to engage an audience, reading books to kids. It's probably not necessary to include a history lesson about Stonewall. All a parent has to do is explain that the guy thinks it's fun to dress up in women's clothing and act silly.

IrisLilies.......What was the library's intent here? Is there someone on staff who is a drag queen? Not sure why they would do this........but it seems like anything and everything can and does go on here in the good ol' U.S. of A.

We have them here, and people love it. Just a fun way to read books. I had a summer volunteer whl was a storyteller who wore different hats and really engaged the kids. If you don't like it then don't take your kids, like most things

I don't see it as any different than showing Some Like it Hot or Bosom Buddies. Maybe that kind of thing is considered scandalous somewhere.
    I tried to schedule myself around Story Hour, personally. Even a cleverly styled drag queen wouldn't have made it tolerable for me.

Maybe I don't understand this post. Is this just a kids' story time? Maybe I've watched too many Law and Orders to appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I don't see it as any different than showing Some Like it Hot or Bosom Buddies. Maybe that kind of thing is considered scandalous somewhere.
    I tried to schedule myself around Story Hour, personally. Even a cleverly styled drag queen wouldn't have made it tolerable for me.
    Would you show either of those films to 4 year olds as a child centered program?

This is confusing to me. Female sterotypes of dressing in heels, sparkly dress and false whatevers in order to create and enhance a traditional female form, and parading around in such, brings distain from the left when it takes place at a beauty pageant. Not a good image for our young girls to emulate.

But dressing up in heels, sparkly dress and false whatevers in order to mimic and enhance a traditional female form is A-ok for story time readers who lead a program for those same young girls.

The illogic is staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    We have them here, and people love it. Just a fun way to read books. I had a summer volunteer whl was a storyteller who wore different hats and really engaged the kids. If you don't like it then don't take your kids, like most things
    A reader who employs different--hats? That's your analogy to drag queens? Ok, not in the same ball park although looks like the same ball park, but, OK.

I think a program for teens and adults about drag makeup or full on drag regalia might be fun. But what four year olds are supposed to take away from this program, I just do not know.