Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Drag Queen Story Time"at the public library

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The local spin is not that the Dr. Seuss books were bad, but that they were refused because a poorer district more in need of books should have received them.
    That " poorer district" comment included a bitch slap to Betsy DeVos.

I am fairly confident none of my former employees would be so stupid as to take the action this librarian took. It was common for my library system to get unsolicited gifts of books and when they arrived, we put them where they needed to go. Often that was not in the collections. We occasionally did receive physical volumes from prominent politicians and we thanked them ( but didnt necessarily add these items to the collections.) . We never never never considered it our job to send shaming/ lecturing public letters to those who made donations to us.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-2-17 at 9:05pm.

So the librarian didn’t want these “tired, worn out, racist”books for her wealthy school but suggested a poor district might have been a better choice.....hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    So the librarian didn’t want these “tired, worn out, racist”books for her wealthy school but suggested a poor district might have been a better choice.....hmmm.
    yes, exactly.

Poor kids can get crap and it is ok because they are poor kids, so she thought. Alrighty then.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    yes, exactly.

Poor kids can get crap and it is ok because they are poor kids, so she thought. Alrighty then.
    It's a lot of arguing and posturing on both sides for a set a books I priced out (almost new) at $15 on Ebay.

My university class (which contained Michelle Robinson) elected Theodor Geisel to receive an honorary degree at our graduation ceremony, a few too many years ago. And we all stood and chanted a few lines from "Green Eggs and Ham" at the appropriate point. I've met this fine gentleman in person quite a few times, and dined at his home.

Throwing him under the bus for being a racist/fascist/nazi/label-of-the-day seems absurd, given his efforts to fight *actual* Nazis and Fascists and Japanese Imperialists through his art. For a man born in 1904, he seemed pretty with-it, for a lefty liberal Democrat.

I think we know very well that if Michelle Robinson Obama had sent the books, no letter would have been generated by the angry librarian.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My university class (which contained Michelle Robinson) elected Theodor Geisel to receive an honorary degree at our graduation ceremony, a few too many years ago. And we all stood and chanted a few lines from "Green Eggs and Ham" at the appropriate point. I've met this fine gentleman in person quite a few times, and dined at his home.

Throwing him under the bus for being a racist/fascist/nazi/label-of-the-day seems absurd, given his efforts to fight *actual* Nazis and Fascists and Japanese Imperialists through his art. For a man born in 1904, he seemed pretty with-it, for a lefty liberal Democrat.
    Geez bae, I think the only famous person in this world you haven’t met ........is me! Was Michelle as charming in person as she appeared on tv?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Geez bae, I think the only famous person in this world you haven’t met ........is me! Was Michelle as charming in person as she appeared on tv?
    She was a bit mean and nasty to me, but I was running a women's self-defense class in the room at the International Students' Center that was right next to where she was running an activity that in all fairness benefited much from quiet and peace. After an initial couple of discussions, we rejuggled everyone's schedules and all was well.

Her brother Craig was far more outgoing and charming, and interacted more with other students.

I found the personal attacks on Michelle Obama during Obama's terms to be a bit disgusting, she seemed like a reasonably decent sort.

I guess far different reading of stories than when I went in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    She was a bit mean and nasty to me, but I was running a women's self-defense class in the room at the International Students' Center that was right next to where she was running an activity that in all fairness benefited much from quiet and peace. After an initial couple of discussions, we rejuggled everyone's schedules and all was well.

Her brother Craig was far more outgoing and charming, and interacted more with other students.

I found the personal attacks on Michelle Obama during Obama's terms to be a bit disgusting, she seemed like a reasonably decent sort.
    Reflecting on the culture I grew up in....personal attacks were common and you developed somewhat of a thick skin or you learned to quash occurrences with a physical beat down. The references to ape in heels and monkey face were as you say disgusting but her and her husband Barry were equally as polarizing as our current resident clown. What I wouldn’t do for a boring, hardly visible Gerald Ford type in the White House.

Drag queens at the library sounds interesting for a kid. I was always looking for some free entertainment.