Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Drag Queen Story Time"at the public library

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Would you show either of those films to 4 year olds as a child centered program?

This is confusing to me. Female sterotypes of dressing in heels, sparkly dress and false whatevers in order to create and enhance a traditional female form, and parading around in such, brings distain from the left when it takes place at a beauty pageant. Not a good image for our young girls to emulate.

But dressing up in heels, sparkly dress and false whatevers in order to mimic and enhance a traditional female form is A-ok for story time readers who lead a program for those same young girls.

The illogic is staggering.
    Yeah--it's probably more about the story teller than the audience. I hope it's a mesmerizing tale.

ETA: Maybe it will be somethng like Mrs. Doubtfire--no particular threat to feminist sensibilities...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I don't see it as any different than showing Some Like it Hot or Bosom Buddies. Maybe that kind of thing is considered scandalous somewhere.
    I tried to schedule myself around Story Hour, personally. Even a cleverly styled drag queen wouldn't have made it tolerable for me.
    I watched reruns of Bosom Buddies with my mom when I was a little kid. I thought that show was so funny!

This show destroyed young minds!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    This show destroyed young minds!

It was certainly a departure from the gritty realism of The Facts of Life.

Would you show either of those films to 4 year olds as a child centered program?

This is confusing to me. Female sterotypes of dressing in heels, sparkly dress and false whatevers in order to create and enhance a traditional female form, and parading around in such, brings distain from the left when it takes place at a beauty pageant. Not a good image for our young girls to emulate.

But dressing up in heels, sparkly dress and false whatevers in order to mimic and enhance a traditional female form is A-ok for story time readers who lead a program for those same young girls.

The illogic is staggering.
    The difference is that one is done seriously and one is done with irony and caricature in mind. Drag queens don't generally strive to actually be passable as women. In fact it's fairly common for them to have full beards.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The difference is that one is done seriously and one is done with irony and caricature in mind. Drag queens don't generally strive to actually be passable as women. In fact it's fairly common for them to have full beards.
    Will 4 year olds gets the " irony?" I think they will see big ladies in sparkly dresses and will sense that the adults around them are amused but they will not understand why. This program is inappropriate.

But that is interesting about the beards. We have very traditional drag queen performers here in Hicksville, FlyOverland. They have no beards.

When I drill down to my feelings about this, maybe the problem is that I am just jealous! Jealous of the four-year-old children!I would like drag queens to give me a program!

The ironic feminist part of drag queenery is, as someone famous once said of women "We are all female impersonators."

Will 4 year olds gets the " irony?" I think they will see big ladies in sparkly dresses and will sense that the adults around them are amused but they will not understand why. This program is inappropriate.

But that is interesting about the beards. We have very traditional drag queen performers here in Hicksville, FlyOverland. They have no beards.
    Yes. At least on a level appropriate for a 4 year old. They will likely think it's a guy dressed up in a costume. And if they don't figure it out than maybe the adult should point it out to them so they can be in on the joke.

When I drill down to my feelings about this, maybe the problem is that I am just jealous! Jealous of the four-year-old children!I would like drag queens to give me a program!
    There's a solution to that!

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...nt+Louis%2C+MO

How fortunate we are to have such professionals to supervise the shaping of young minds.

Just this morning, I was reading of that courageous elementary school librarian who rejected the First Lady's foul donation of Doctor Seuss books, instructing her that "Doctor Seuss's illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures and harmful stereotypes". She also gave her a stern talking-to about Betsy DeVos. Sure, the suits in the School Board counseled her for exceeding her authority and violating some ridiculous "policy against using public resources for political purposes", but she had to protect innocent children from that rhyming filth!

As long as the reader is not wearing anything revealing or behaving in risque ways, then who cares?
    When I was a kid I liked Culture Club, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Queen, and other gender-bending musicians. Never bothered me.

If I was a parent and the book the drag queen was reading looked like a good book, like the Golden Compass or some such, then I'd take the kid to hear the reading.

And I would say: "In America we're quite free. So some people are drag queens and some people are squares and some are magicians and some are mechanics."

Thread Information