Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Drag Queen Story Time"at the public library

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It was certainly a departure from the gritty realism of The Facts of Life.
    I LOLed!

How fortunate we are to have such professionals to supervise the shaping of young minds.

Just this morning, I was reading of that courageous elementary school librarian who rejected the First Lady's foul donation of Doctor Seuss books, instructing her that "Doctor Seuss's illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures and harmful stereotypes". She also gave her a stern talking-to about Betsy DeVos. Sure, the suits in the School Board counseled her for exceeding her authority and violating some ridiculous "policy against using public resources for political purposes", but she had to protect innocent children from that rhyming filth!
    yes, this was another eye rolling incident.

We can take comfort in the fact that this library employee was actually "counseled" as to her inappropriate response. That would not always happen, depending on the location, the management, the Library Board.

What is the deal with Peter Scolari always wearing short shorts in Bosem Buddies?In the trailer he appears at least 6 times in these shorts in various scenes.

This tv show must have played during a time when I didnt watch tv because I have never seen one episode, although I know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What is the deal with Peter Scolari always wearing short shorts in Bosem Buddies?In the trailer he appears at least 6 times in these shorts in various scenes.

This tv show must have played during a time when I didnt watch tv because I have never seen one episode, although I know about it.
    Circa 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Circa 1982.
    Oh yeah, I had no tv then.

yes, this was another eye rolling incident.

We can take comfort in the fact that this library employee was actually "counseled" as to her inappropriate response. That would not always happen, depending on the location, the management, the Library Board.
    Librarians like this make me value my Amazon account all the more. I don't need anyone explaining to my kid about how the Boxcar Children perpetuate the class structure or where Amelia Bedelia falls in the autism spectrum or whose prairie they built the Little House on. And if she wants to take There's a Wocket in My Pocket at face value, I'm just the sort of politically irresponsible parent who's fine with it.

Yppej
    How fortunate we are to have such professionals to supervise the shaping of young minds.

Just this morning, I was reading of that courageous elementary school librarian who rejected the First Lady's foul donation of Doctor Seuss books, instructing her that "Doctor Seuss's illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures and harmful stereotypes". She also gave her a stern talking-to about Betsy DeVos. Sure, the suits in the School Board counseled her for exceeding her authority and violating some ridiculous "policy against using public resources for political purposes", but she had to protect innocent children from that rhyming filth!
    The local spin is not that the Dr. Seuss books were bad, but that they were refused because a poorer district more in need of books should have received them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The local spin is not that the Dr. Seuss books were bad, but that they were refused because a poorer district more in need of books should have received them.
    She did imply that other districts would be better served by the gift, but local spin aside, she made a pretty good SJW case that Dr. Seuss books were indeed bad.

http://www.hbook.com/2017/09/blogs/f...r-mrs-trump/#_

"So, my school doesn’t have a NEED for these books. And then there’s the matter of the books themselves. You may not be aware of this, but Dr. Seuss is a bit of a cliché, a tired and worn ambassador for children’s literature. As First Lady of the United States, you have an incredible platform with world-class resources at your fingertips. Just down the street you have access to a phenomenal children’s librarian: Dr. Carla Hayden, the current Librarian of Congress. I have no doubt Dr. Hayden would have given you some stellar recommendations.
    Another fact that many people are unaware of is that Dr. Seuss’s illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures, and harmful stereotypes. Open one of his books (If I Ran a Zoo or And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, for example), and you’ll see the racist mockery in his art. Grace Hwang Lynch’s School Library Journal article, “Is the Cat in the Hat Racist? Read Across America Shifts Away from Dr. Seuss and Toward Diverse Books,” reports on Katie Ishizuka’s work analyzing the minstrel characteristics and trope nature of Seuss’s characters. Scholar Philip Nel’s new book, Was the Cat in the Hat Black? The Hidden Racism of Children’s Literature, and the Need for Diverse Books, further explores and shines a spotlight on the systemic racism and oppression in education and literature.
    I am honored that you recognized my students and our school. I can think of no better gift for children than books; it was a wonderful gesture, if one that could have been better thought out. Books can be a powerful way to learn about and experience the world around us; they help build empathy and understanding. In return, I’m attaching a list of ten books (it’s the librarian in me) that I hope will offer you a window into the lives of the many children affected by the policies of your husband’s administration. You and your husband have a direct impact on these children’s lives. Please make time to learn about and value them. I hope you share these books with your family and with kids around the country. And I encourage you to reach out to your local librarian for more recommendations."
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Yes. At least on a level appropriate for a 4 year old. They will likely think it's a guy dressed up in a costume. And if they don't figure it out than maybe the adult should point it out to them so they can be in on the joke.

There's a solution to that!

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...nt+Louis%2C+MO
    oh I know,
    I keep saying that a group p of us need to see the show at .the Grey Fox, it is supposed to be the best.

oh I know,
    I keep saying that a group p of us need to see the show at .the Grey Fox, it is supposed to be the best.
    I miss Finocchio's in SF.

Thread Information