Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Myers-Briggs: worst workplaces for each type

I am INFJ, and yeah, the workplace from hell is actually a good description of the job I had for 8 years that was very toxic for me. Still work there part-time. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow, well you INTJs are greatly over-represented on the simple living forum, it seems!
    It is because we can close the door here, and keep you people out.

INTP: A workplace in which they are micromanaged and must account for what they are doing at absolutely every minute of every day.
    yes that's very bad and is part of the problem ... I don't like that .... I hate having to account for exact time on timesheets etc. - though the worst I don't know ...

maybe a workplace where you have to use your best thinking to try to guess what the expectations are, yet because your personality isn't great at people reading anyway, it does little good, and the expectations change regularly, so you end up in trouble for doing what you thought was right yesterday. A workplace where yesterday something had no deadline and was "take your time" and today is due today. Where yesterday you were encouraged to ask questions and today you are in trouble for asking questions (or at least on a more benign day they aren't answered). Where yesterday it seems you are encouraged to take more initiative in dealing with the business directly (and I was like oh cool they want me to take initiative I can use my experience for all this), and yet today you are punished for doing so. Where everything seems a matter of people reading correctly rather than clearly communicated expectations. I have REAL problems with this as I'm not good at it.

A workplace where much seems to be a matter of cliques and personal hates and likes and such office politics that you can't even figure out. Such inexplicable behavior and unpredictable expectations just does a serious number on the INTPs need to make rational sense of the world they are living in. And eventually, and I have, they give up, they give up even trying to make any sense of things and expect the sword to just fall on them for reasons they can't prevent nor always even foresee. A workplace where deadlines that can't be met are imposed willy nilly and you can't even argue "but this is impossible ..." because your input is ignored no matter. INTPs don't like deadlines period, but I deal with them sometimes for a corporate need, but it isn't even that. A workplace where your desire to actually do a good job at things is relentlessly pushed against in that nobody cares if things are done remotely correctly but only quickly, although there is always the off chance one will get in trouble for having taken the necessary shortcuts also (necessary because of having no time).

And eventually it's less and less a workplace (although work still gets done), and more just a re-enaction of childhood trauma, where the powers that be could get angry at any time for any reasons, and all hell would break lose, and insults get hurled (and this does happen at work - real insults not just professional criticism), for reasons you could neither prevent nor always even predict. Although in childhood objects would also start getting hurled and that has not happened at work yet needless to say (though my bf did work at a place where the boss threw a chair in rage once).
    Trees don't grow on money

Ha why they say INTPs get fired:
    INTP: They exclusively showed up to work during the middle of the night. It took until two weeks after they were gone for everyone to realize that they had actually been getting twice as much work as anyone else done.

INFJ here, struggling with drastic changes to scholarship policy based on running it solely as a business instead of part of an educational system that chose to work on equity. And every time someone is fired i am anxious for a month

For me, the worst sort of workplace would be one that took the Myers-Briggs stuff seriously, and used it as part of hiring/management practice.

We took Myers-Briggs at work, and the few women in my group were all IN-somethings. Maybe the men were, too. They had us pegged.

I think it's pretty obvious that the worst workplaces to work for are abusive ones. I suppose someone might say that is somewhat subjective, but quite honestly I don't think it's all that subjective at all. But a workplace is not always universally so (although the fish can rot from the head of course) but often depends on whether one is working for someone who likes to get their sadism out on their underlings or not.

ENTJ for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    For me, the worst sort of workplace would be one that took the Myers-Briggs stuff seriously, and used it as part of hiring/management practice.
    For me it pretty much sucks that we do different types of tests, not to hire but to help teams work together, and then when you actually act like your type then there is an issue. It is simple things like finding out many people are introverts and then having loud, crowded meetings, and then fishing for feedback. Just leave me alone unless you mean it

Thread Information