Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to fix my KitchenAid stand mixer.........

Trying to fix my KitchenAid stand mixer.........

Wasn't sure where to post this, but since I'm trying to save money doing this myself, I thought here would be appropriate.
    But.......it may end up costing me more to try to figure it out myself!

My mixer began making funky noises after I ground roasts into hamburger and all the speed settings were pretty much the same.....really fast. There's some great You Tube videos about fixing these, so I started there.
    Well actually, I started before that by replacing the governor........but that didn't fix the problem.
    So my next guess was going to be the speed control plate and the phase boards (whatever the heck that is, but it has something to do with the speed).
    One company that puts out some great videos also answers your questions.......so I've been emailing him back and forth. I think he's getting frustrated with me though. haha

Well, I thought I was unscrewing a screw to take the top off, and it was something important that has to do with the motor "brushes" and I pulled something out I wasn't supposed to. Now I have to pull everything out of the entire mixer to repair this mistake. How on earth did anyone even invent this??

I hope I can do this and it doesn't cost more than a repair shop would have charged.
    Anyone ever repair their KitchenAid stand mixer?

Actually, after I replaced the governor, I found out there were 3 speed-adjusting screws that I didn't know about.........so I may have caused myself a big mess. Oh well. I'm in-between puzzles, so this will be my "entertainment"
    for awhile.

I tried to fix mine but gave up, unfortunately. Still wish I had stuck with the old one, which I liked better than the new model of the same size--the bowls were better.

It's probably stripped gears, that is what makes that sound and that;s what goes.

Here is a page that will help parts:
    http://www.goodmans.net/d/10/kitchen...ixer-gears.htm

"Funky noises" sounds like something mechanical - like gears or loose bearings or something. If the unit is not too hard to disassemble (the key there only disassembling what you can figure out how to reassemble), you can actually get in and look at stuff, mechanical issues are usually visible.

If you can find a repair manual out there for it, those can be very helpful. I fixed a dryer once - turned out to be worn rollers for the drum which were inexpensive and easy to replace with the manual.

I sort of mis-spoke about the funky noise. What happens is that on the low settings, the sound really pulsates and the beaters go really fast. I also can see a spark in the back where the whatchamacallit contacts the thingamabob (when the cover is off).
    I'm pretty sure it's the speed control plate and/or the phase board, but I went and screwed things up when I accidentally pulled out one of the brushes. Now it's a major job. The You Tube videos by the Appliance Parts Pros Co. are very excellent and will help a lot. Wish me luck.

Deep breaths, and remember if you got it disassembled, you can reassemble it.
    If you get frustrated, you will have to take it in somewhere, and will end up paying extra, because you tried to fix it (more labor). If your really frustrated, that still might be worth it.
    I know there are good video's and appliance boards. The only mixer I have worked on, is at a friends restaurant, and it is an 80 quart Hobart.

Thanks everyone.
    TMS......wow....that's a big mixer! Did you have to climb into it to fix it? haha

Well, I've got most of it apart....but I can't get one part out (the motor end plate). I looked at a really good video, but realized that my model is so much older than the others, and there are some different parts. Plus, I never know how forceful to be. This morning I had to hammer several pins out and it took awhile....but for awhile I didn't know if I was doing something I shouldn't be, when nothing was happening.

I'm emailing a technician, but he takes awhile to get back, so it will be a long process. I didn't want to order any parts until I got in there and could see what was and wasn't looking good. Plus, I'll need to order stuff that I break along the way. haha

Yes, if it gets too bad, I'll put everything in a box and take it to a repair place.......but I'm pretty determined!

Good on you for diving into it! And isn’t it nice to see something that was made to be repaired instead of just thrown away!

Still working on it. I'm embarrassed at how hard it's been for me. I would get a mess put back together and be so proud.....and then find an extra washer. I've taken things apart and put them back together and taken them apart many times. And the grease is something else. It's all over everything. I have to wash my hands constantly, or I can't get traction on anything.

Thanks heavens for the guy online who's helping me. Like I said, having to take this whole thing apart is because of a stupid mistake I made on Day 1. It has nothing to do with the initial problem. So if I can get the gears right and everything lined up and no extra parts......I should be ready for and receive the electrical things I ordered. Fortunately, I can work on that with just the back off. Dang, I hope it works. But I'm like a dog with a bone.......when I can't figure something out, I'm obsessed with it. I think what makes it most confusing is not understanding mechanical engineering-type knowledge........oh, and electrical stuff,.....oh, and moving the top and bottom to different orientations and being confused on how things fit together in a different position.....and.........

Thanks ToomuchStuff! I think it's so unfair that they work in those videos without any grease in the mixer! lol!

Thread Information