Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October Frugals!

October Frugals!

Happy October! I really need to step up my game this month, and I'm probably not the only one since we never even had a dedicated Frugals thread for September. We went on vacation in September, which wasn't cheap, and then we got hit with some additional expenses, so time to knuckle down.
    I have at least postponed two purchases through judicious application of duct tape - broken vacuum cleaner wand and electric mattress pad cord that keeps coming unplugged. I'm also doing a favorite fall frugal by purchasing cool looking squashes for fall decor that can be eaten instead of gourds and such that cannot. I think that's it for now.

Yppej
    I have not turned the heat on yet, and this morning it is a decidedly crisp 62 degrees in the house.

My auto insurance renewal documents came and I will pay the entire year in advance to receive a small discount. The bill itself should come late October or early November and depending on when it lands will have a big impact on expenditures for those months. Every time I shop around I find I have the lowest rates I can get due to loyalty discounts for staying with the same carrier.

This is going to be a frugal food week for us since dh is traveling for work and will be eating on an expense account and I am not picky about food and rarely cook for myself. I will eat all the leftovers in the fridge and then just milk, eggs, nuts, carrots (we have a 5 lb bag) bread (rye or wheat) and apples when I get hungry. (The leftovers include broccoli and a big salad, so I think my nutrition will be fine)

somehow I miscounted the pulls for the kitchen counter and we are one short. I ordered it on e-bay instead of driving back to the store and saved $2 plus gas. Dh is building the hearth for the woodstove from scratch instead of buying a hearth. We will get exactly what we want and save $600.

i mended dh sweater last night and am good enough that the mend doesn't show and he can still wear it to work and look professional. So, he doesn't need a new sweater.

i'm not sure if this is a "frugal" but I have been accepting lots of sub jobs including study hall supervision - which lets me get paid for my planning time. I feel like using the time to do my planning is frugal use of time.

Oct 01/17...and yes I too need to be here this month....city taxes, small but costly enough fix up of my bathroom (the one room
    that didn't even get done when we moved here 8 years ago) and of course just the cost of living.
    ---I posted 30 items on Kijiji yesterday and may have a buyer (I have given up on really making money and just want to get
    some back and get stuff out of the garage)
    ---Yesterday Dd and I rearranged stuff in the garage so anything either of us is selling is on the shelving right inside the door where
    we know where it is....lol....hard to sell it if it is spread all over the house.
    ---spent yesterday afternoon making cards with a lovely group of women....makings of the cards supplied and the proceeds going to
    a charity. Nice time, good friends, no eating allowed at the table (that is a win for me...lol) and helping a charity
    --cleaned out my small travel kit put in new samples and I am using up the old ones. Realized I don;t travel that much anymore and
    they would need to be changed up. Of course the samples are gotten free.
    ---drinking two liters of water a day so eating less, good for weight and food budget.

September was our lowest spend month all year even though we paid 2 6m vehicle insurance premiums. yea us!

Today, I'm making breakfast shortly. I'm soaking kidney/pinto beans for a big pot of chili that will render leftovers for the week's lunches. I leave Tuesday for a work trip so very little expense for me. DH will have the chili. I'll make a big pan of cornbread to go with it. I love chili/cornbread for dinner and even better as leftovers.

I've machine washed our organic/feather mattress pad and it's hanging on my indoor line to dry.

Later this morning when the sun is up (it's a lovely 43F right now), I'll pick more tomatoes....We'll see what I get. I'm giving some to a friend so she can make more salsa and can for her winter stores. We'll see what's left when she takes what she wants.

I'll be doing more laundry later....hang dry what I can.

Aged Herbal Tea Blend - In my cupboard, there's two boxes of loose herbal tea blends. They've been on the shelf for at least one year but I am not interested in the tea. So, instead of going on to the compost pile, I brewed two extra large tablespoons and pour the water into my bath water. The herbs smell good and I think they might be at least soothing to the skin.

There's also a box of uneaten flax seeds in my fridge. I decided they are not being eaten either and put them in my bird feeder. I hope they are still edible. At least, the birds will eat or not eat.

I have to be way frugal this month and plan on $50 for grocery each week.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Oct02/17
    --Last night I made a large pot of soup using bags of broth, cabbage, that had been freezer
    and added lots of herbs and spices and more mixed frozen vegetables and mini wontons. Great supper
    and enough for today's lunch.
    --posted 3 more items on Kijji
    --last two days are , No drive still managed to spend not leaving the house...hummm
    --watching a DVD set from the library for free
    --mending/altering/ hemming for Dd and Dgson...I won't let her pay me but, she always buys me some treat or lunch out as thanks
    so frugal and feels good to be a help.
    --did up spreadsheets for the month...best way ever to know how you are spending
    --sorted Box of stuff bought for gifts during the year and set aside who they are for....that way I will know what I
    already have for Christmas....since I don't buy for so many anymore I am well on my way to being done. Without much spend.
    I am on a mission!!

Not so frugals: Bought old German violin to supplement new Chinese violin. I like them both so they are both staying. Also bought new carbon fiber bow at recommendation of my brother. Like it, too.

Frugals: Convinced DH to build our basement shelving from wood in the shed and barn, rather than enabling him to buy more wood at Menards.

Picked two bags of apples from one of our favorite abandoned apple trees, this one located at the 45th parallel. Making apple sauce and apple butter and freezing rest for pies.

Sold a textbook that we weren't using for a class we teach.

Yppej
    Family members and a neighbor helped me cut down a tree for free. It was getting to the heighth where it was endangering as well as shading the neighbor's garden.

Oct03/17
    --was asked to donated gifts for a charity...made up 2 baskets (1 everything for a pedicure including foot cream put in a nice mug and
    1 in a Wine box with tea towels, 2 crystal wine glasses, and other wine related items) they went over well and made them some money.
    All from items I had in my gifting box.
    That is all I can think of for today.

Thread Information