Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: October Frugals!

I had a big, whining post all typed out and maybe just putting it in words made me feel a little better so I deleted. Suffice to say we've had/have both expected and unexpected expenditures in the last month and in the coming month that are threatening to break us rather than make us stronger. There are no frugal savings on purchases left to be made as there will simply be no more purchases. Basics for groceries, maybe, but we will be eating what we have and seeing if the next month of income combined with what savings exist, will keep us from sinking into a financial hole. We've turned the corner from frugality to survival and it's not fun. Good luck to everyone on their own path.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm sorry to hear this happy stuff and hope it is a temporary set back. Breathe.

Happystuff: That sounds pretty dire; I hope you are able to pull through it. Wishing you the best.

Thank you for the kind words and well-wishes. What will be, will be.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Found another dealership to change the car bulbs for less than half what the first dealership would charge and learned about the difference between driving lights and night lights auto shutting off to keep the bulbs from burning out quickly. The technical folks were good.

The only issue was after I paid the clerk wanted me to sign a paper, actually 4 pages of legalese. I declined. She said it was required by accounting and I said, "I already paid you cash so you don't have to worry about a bounced check or credit card chargeback. And you should give me a receipt." She did not know how to do this and called over another woman who told her what to do, but also said in a sneering tone, "Don't worry, you won't have to do this again. Nobody pays cash." They both then continued to tell me I had to sign the paper and I said, "No I don't" and took my keys and left. It could be an interesting call if they contact me for a quality assurance survey.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It could be an interesting call if they contact me for a quality assurance survey.
    I love those quality-assurance surveys. I especially like the ones that come with the premise that "anything less than a 5 out of 5 is failure". So what's the point of other numbers? Make it a pass-fail and be done with it. 5 out of 5 indicates that nothing could be done to improve a customer experience and I hardly ever have an experience that good. Fortunately, I rarely respond to those surveys because I don't tend to answer the phone if I don't recognize the number.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Making a pot of baked beans and cornbread.

One of the days I cook this week I decided it would be beans and cornbread. I make cornbread with sourdough starter, and I make the beans from dry navy beans that I soak. Compared to the usual fare, this is frugal. And there is still kale in the garden...

Yppej
    Looked at a book about Nantucket and crossed it off my bucket list. It costs Oover $450.00 to take a car there on the ferry among other things. The author said it has gone from being an island of millionaires to one of billionaires.

Williamsmith
    I used to own a very expensive fly rod for fishing until somebody walked off with it stuck in their hand. Since then I have used small bait casting rigs to fish small trout streams near home. So I decided to get back in the fly rod business. But this time, I wanted something I wouldn’t be upset about disappearing.

Thats where the flee market / antique stores come in. I finally found an 8 1/2 foot true temper sportsman fly rod steel in construction with baked on enamel from the 1940s or 50s. Made in Ohio.....it is in excellent shape, came with a Shakespear reel and some dry rotted line. $11. Boom!

Nice score on the fly rod, Williamsmith!! I completely agree about antique stores/flea market (and estate sales) being the way to go. Still kicking myself for not buying a violin this summer for 75 dollars, was probably worth about 500.

My frugal score this weekend was a metal poster frame for 2 dollars. I needed a white one for a really cool Inuit poster from an art show here that I bought for a dollar last summer, but haven't been able to frame. Painted the metal frame with a can of spray paint I had leftover from my bookcase project this summer and now have poster hanging on the wall, 3 dollars!

Thread Information