Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: October Frugals!

Reading these reminded me of a few recent frugals:
    - danna reminded me that I did have my car cleaned before a road trip. They did such a great job that I am no longer dreaming of having the car detailed. At one-quarter the price of a detail, this job got most parts of the car as clean as they will ever get.
    - DW's car needs winter tires -- one developed a sidewall bulge and they're all five years old. In shopping at our usual place, I discovered the tire I wanted was no longer avaiable -- but their Web site offers an even better tire (on closeout) for about the same price. As soon as they ship four to the store, I'll get them put on.
    - lunches this week are cabbage that was a gift and a pound of good ground beef that was on closeout when I bought it. I added some spices we already had in the house and lunch is done...
    - still shopping grocery specials and using up Chinook Book coupons that expire at the end of the month.
    - will be repainting the bathroom ceiling and then the walls; I was ready to buy ceiling paint but discovered that we still have a fair amount in the basement. If it's still good, I'll use that instead.
    - bought the dog's kibble with a mailed coupon and our quarterly "reward", cutting about 25% off the price of this bag. The bag also goes toward our tally of a free bag after 12 are purchased.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Paid for auto insurance for the entire year for 10% off. This and new brakes/rotors pushed me over budget for the month, but the insurance hit comes every October so this was expected as were the brakes based on my mileage.

Replacing kitchen ceiling fan/light and returned the new one from Menards (68 dollars) after finding one liked better for 15 dollars at a yard sale.
    Found a mirrored cabinet door (an antique) at a salvage supply store for 9 dollars, patched two holes for 2.50 in wood putty, and used hanging hardware we already owned.
    Then took the old mirror that I have actively hated for four years and the old ceiling fan (ditto) to Habitat for Humanity, where I found a wooden wallpaper brush for a dollar, so will return the plastic one I bought at Menard's yesterday and save two dollars.
    On same trip stopped at library and licked up two free movies for viewing, and stopped at grocery store where we split two pieces of pizza for dinner.
    Now, on to ceiling fan replacement tonight!

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    licked up two free movies for viewing
    Those movies sound delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Those movies sound delicious.
    oops, typo!!

- Restocking the freezer with sales at the corner supermarket (don't even have to drive there!) and a couple of other grocery stores. Using coupons at our co-op for items I know we'll use.
    - Fixed a lens for my camera by finding a couple of jewelry-sized screws in my "stash" and attaching a piece that came loose. The lens isn't worth a lot and I don't even use it all that often but it's handy to have (not worth buying another one to me, so why not try to fix it?).
    - Found a snow shovel at the rental property, which means I don't need to buy one for there.
    - When a specialty bulb blew in the dining room light, I scrounged around the closet and found three spares (!). Two of them failed from being knocked around in storage, I'm guessing. But the last one works so it's in the fixture now and I didn't have to go find this bulb (it's not a big-box home-improvement-store kind of bulb).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Won a Haloween contest and should get $10 over what I spent on supplies. Still waiting to get paid, as are the other winners.

Thread Information