Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October Purge

October Purge

I'm about halfway through the seasonal closet clean-out, and 9 items gone so far between the 2 of us today. That means we're at 61 clothing items out net for the year (I don't count socks and underwear, and net is after offsetting with any new items that came in). Also 4 books out and a chipped soap dish. I'm not exactly striving to be ultralight (pun intended), but certainly striving to be lighter.
    I realized recently that what I really want to do most of the time is go for a walk. So I'm trying to prune out things and obligations that suck up my time and keep me from doing what I really want to do.
    Decluttering, frugality, mindfulness, life's purpose - it all ties together, doesn't it?
    I'm reading a rather wonderful little book, How to Walk, by Thich Nhat Hanh. I think I've found my pathway to meditation and mindfulness, and it's a foot path.

Rosa, that sounds lovely!

my October purge area is going to be my kitchen. I am slowly moving items to the new kitchen as I need them. At some point, the new kitchen cabinets will be full, the old kitchen will be empty, or I will have gone through Thanksgiving and Christmas and not moved things. Except in very special cases (for example - I'm not canning this year, but I plan to put my jar litter with the canning stuff in the basement - I may find other things like that that should be stored in the basement, not the kitchen) those things will go.

as I am pulling things out of cabinets, I am finding things behind them that I forgot.

today I found two small bowls I can happily part with (and some other things I need to make sure dh can part with when he gets back in a week.)

Yppej
    Family members, a neighbor and I cut down a tree that was getting too tall for comfort and leaning onto the neighbor's property. He volunteered to haul away all the pieces his son did not take for firewood and we all loaded in his pickup. I also cut down more small items. In 2 weeks yard waste pickups for the fall start. After that I will declutter inside. I did throw out one stained pillowcase.

Oct 02/17 I am in on this and trying for 5 items a day.....I haven't done it for awhile and amazingly the
    more I get rid of the more I see to get rid of....

--two of dear husbands Lion's club dress shirts like new...Donated
    --two gift cards to Lion's club fundraiser....Donated
    --two really stained tea towels...Rag Bag
    --3 cutting broads stained and very rough shape ...Garbage
    --2 plastic containers for pouring oils..very icky and unsafe...Garbage
    --4 samples of shampoo etc. partly used in travel bags...Used up then recycled
    --2 pass dated makeups....Garbage
    --1 Swimsuit like new that doesn't work for me now...Donation
    --8 Bras new or like new that don't work for me now...Donation/giveaway
    --1 Beachy type bag I have never used...Donation
    Whoa if I could just keep this up I would love it!!! To Date 27 items

Danna, I like the 5 things a day idea and will start today--so I need 15--let's see if I can do that! As in now.

I went through my closet yesterday and found enough stuff to fill a bag. In the past month I have bought about 6 new shirts so some of the old needed to go. I do think that is a good method for keeping things from becoming overwhelming.

Out with a pair of worn-out shoes and 5 more books.
    Our closet still has a lot in it, but at least there is some wiggle-room now. It is easier to see what is in there and it is gradually becoming a more functional space.

Yppej
    Now that you can see more you can toss more. Good work RR and everyone!

This 3 day wekend I want to tackle removing and tossing the old insulation. My original goal was Labor Day weekend but then we had company come.

--two of dear husbands Lion's club dress shirts like new...Donated
    --two gift cards to Lion's club fundraiser....Donated
    --two really stained tea towels...Rag Bag
    --3 cutting broads stained and very rough shape ...Garbage
    --2 plastic containers for pouring oils..very icky and unsafe...Garbage
    --4 samples of shampoo etc. partly used in travel bags...Used up then recycled
    --2 pass dated makeups....Garbage
    --1 Swimsuit like new that doesn't work for me now...Donation
    --8 Bras new or like new that don't work for me now...Donation/giveaway
    --1 Beachy type bag I have never used...Donation
    Whoa if I could just keep this up I would love it!!! To Date 27 items
    To Oct 03/2017

--10 items made up into 2 gift baskets for auction at charity...donation
    --2 pair of underwear...needed to go in garbage...(thinking is that if I had an accident/got sick even at home would
    I be embarrassed to be taken to the hospital...my mother always said that...lol...I have become my mother)
    --2 magazines...1 to recycling and 1 to donation bag.
    --1 more like new bathing suit ..donation
    Total to date: 42

Yppej
    I have been working through all the old spices hanging around the house for over a year now. I finished the last of the curry powder yesterday and only have cinnamon left. My thinking is that I should eat fresh herbs preferably grown myself not dried, powdered, processed spices imported from halfway around the world.

Thread Information