Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: October Purge

I am overjoyed to learn that Savers accepts stuffed animals! If these were chewed up old teddy bears, I would have parted with them a long time ago, but these are really nice imported hedgehogs and a couple of bats and an armadillo. I have no use for them at this stage of my life, but they were too nice to just throw away. Glad I will be able to re-home them.
    Danna: You are really on a roll!
    Yppej: We did the spice cabinet a few years ago, and there were things that had been there for decades and probably as yummy as ground dust by that point. We do like to use some things that we cannot grow (at least I don't think we can grow cumin and turmeric), but are trying to be a little bit wiser about buying only things we use. If it's something we use infrequently, we buy the tiniest size possible.

Yppej
    I have heard tumeric is really healthy so I might buy it again. I got a new mug to replace one I keep at work that has a white interior and gets to looking grungy from tea stains if I don't bleach it all the time. When I am back at work Tuesday I will toss the old mug.

I have to use the cloves in my cabinet which have literally been there for years--they are whole cloves, and I bought them to stick into oranges for Christmas presents, and then never did that...

Me too, Tybee! Whole cloves that never even got close to an orange!
    Today I wore a really pretty shirt that kind of rides up funny when I move around, not exactly sure how to describe it. Bottom line is that the shirt looks good if I don't move, or if I tug at it constantly, and I don't consider either of those to be acceptable options. So into the wash it goes and then into the donation bag.
    I persuaded DH to look through his suits and fall shirts yesterday, and he parted with a suit and a shirt. He worked at Brooks Brothers for many years, so he has a substantial wardrobe that was relevant in a previous life, but not his current one. I understand how it can be hard to let go, so I just try and gently coax him to reassess these things periodically when I'm doing the seasonal closet clean out.
    We're building up a sizable collection for Savers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Family members, a neighbor and I cut down a tree that was getting too tall for comfort and leaning onto the neighbor's property. He volunteered to haul away all the pieces his son did not take for firewood and we all loaded in his pickup. I also cut down more small items. In 2 weeks yard waste pickups for the fall start. ....
    We've been busy doing the same thing here at my little rental house. Had a professional tree service remove a 40' palm tree and grind the stump down for total cost of $1,550. It was not 100% stable and was right on the fence line with the neighbor. We're now removing smaller trees ourselves which had also been planted on the fence line.
    Why oh why do people plant right up against the fence ??!! It's taken many labor hours and several trips to the dump with the debris and it's still not done.

Yppej
    I got what was labelled a watermelon knife at the supermarket hoping it would be better on butternut squash. It isn't but will replace the old stained big knife I have. I also tackled some paperwork.

I managed to take 14 items to Goodwill yesterday, so that's my total for the month so far.

I went through my clothes and kitchen again so have a bag to donate.

My extended family has decided to have a garage sale, and asked to have it at my house in January. Our area is particularly popular for these sales, so I agreed.
    So for right now we'll continue the decluttering but we'll be putting most of it aside for the sale; what doesn't sell will be donated afterwards.

Just finished up a week off work - a "stay-cation". Besides visiting friends and family off and on, I spent a lot of time tackling the clutter in my living room. Decided to get rid of the heavy, old tv stand. Replaced it with a corner shelf unit that needed to be cleaned off first and required moving a bookshelf as well as the old tv stand, etc. etc. One of those "must destroy the entire room to accomplish one thing" type of jobs. The bookcase is/was actually totally full of photo albums and boxes. I've gone through and removed photos of half filled albums and put those in for donation. Also went through and removed photos from old and broken frames, etc. I now have a manageable amount of framed pictures to display and my next project will be to resume scanning photos onto sd cards. Feels to actually see the progress in the whole room.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information