Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was off today....but now a meeting due to Las Vegas and security issues.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Was off today....but now a meeting due to Las Vegas and security issues.

Turns out I was off today after a stretch of working doubles (but nice check coming!!!) but I have to haul my tired self downtown today for a last minute meeting. Apparently increased security measures are being discussed/implemented STAT due to the horrific shootings in Las Vegas early this morning or was it late last night? At any rate......I'm so creeped out I don't even have attitude to give about coming in on a day off - if it's to improve security after what happened in Las Vegas, it's a valid meeting in my book and I'm there.

Stay safe as best you can out there, folks. I worry about copy catters......those of us such as myself who work in or around juicy targets......let's just be as safe as we can and as aware as we can. Rob

Just horrific and unbelievable, but happening all too often. I'm so sad, and so mad too.

Yes stay safe everyone in entertainment. It is hard every time there is a shooting (my daughter was in the Aurora theater shooting). I know there seems to be nowhere that is safe but we always want to try.

Improved security features? Why is this one any different than Sandy Hook or any of the other mass shootings? It seems to be really about large numbers of people and a person with a gun that just wants to kill. It is pretty impossible to protect anyone from someone with a gun or a car or a knife. Guns just kill more people faster and from a distance.

I figure if nothing was ever done about guns after Sandy Hook, the whole issue was doomed. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I figure if nothing was ever done about guns after Sandy Hook, the whole issue was doomed. Sigh.
    Same here. If the murder of a couple dozen children and teachers wasn't enough to at least change the direction of the discussion, nothing will.

One isolated sociopath with an agenda can try to blow up his shoes on a plane and now we all have to take our shoes off at airport security. But isolated sociopaths with agendas can shoot and kill dozens/scores/hundreds of people and nothing changes. I feel badly for those who were injured and for the friends and families of those killed. But because it is impossible in this country to have a mature discussion about gun control (among other Constitutionally-guaranteed rights which already are regulated, I expect nothing to change except the venue and method of the next mass shooting.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    I would think that of all the topics of discussion, gun control, has been thoroughly spoken and written about. The nation is equally as polarized on this issue as any.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    What would "something done" look like in practical terms? Would a war on guns be somehow more effective than the war on drugs? I suppose confiscating some or all legally owned guns would mean there were fewer available for criminals to steal, but would that have a significant impact? Pretty soon, anyone with a few bucks will be able to run off guns at home on 3D printers. How can that be regulated?

I'd agree with laws prohibiting people with documented mental illness from legally purchasing firearms, but I suspect that crazy will generally find a way.

I can understand the emotions incidents like this evoke, but I'm wondering what lawmakers could do that could make a significant difference.

My soap box, sigh, is that we stopped doing any research on gun violence many years ago and actually banned it. I don't have all the details available right now, however we are certainly not going to get that changed at all. It does NOT need to a war against guns, but research would go a long way into at least attempting to figure it out.

I heard they are looking at making equipment like silencers legal now, which would make it harder to see where gunfire is coming from and stop an active shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    My soap box, sigh, is that we stopped doing any research on gun violence many years ago and actually banned it. I don't have all the details available right now, however we are certainly not going to get that changed at all. It does NOT need to a war against guns, but research would go a long way into at least attempting to figure it out.

I heard they are looking at making equipment like silencers legal now, which would make it harder to see where gunfire is coming from and stop an active shooter.

Without doing any research on your claim, it is impossible for me to understand this "banning" and I am deeply skeptical that no one may engage in research about gun violence. Show me the statute.

if you mean it is not a topic for the current public trough, that is different.

Another day, another mass shooting. Just sad, and way too normal.

Thread Information