Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Was off today....but now a meeting due to Las Vegas and security issues.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Wow. You guys must be fun at parties.

I know what hunger is. See previous discussion of squirrel brain recipes, and methods of preparing roadkill. I used to fish, for our dinner, every day upon returning from school, before I did my homework. And I ran a muskrat trapline in the swamp, to generate some hard cash from the general store, and some extra meat.

So you claim to have a firm and correct understanding of America, developed when you were 8 years old. When I was 8, we were living in a single-wide in the swamp and feasting on swamp things - but because I have acquired assets since then, my understanding is somehow now gone?

Curiouser and curiouser.
    There is nothing wrong with some “fresh” roadkill. We used to pick it up all the time and when on duty we made radio announcements for fresh roadkill. Isn’t that consistent with utilizing nature to its fullest but the turkey vultures and crows would make good use of it if we didn’t.

And my first entrepreneurial adventure as a kid was the muskrat trapline.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

When I was 8, we were living in a single-wide in the swamp and feasting on swamp things - but because I have acquired assets since then, my understanding is somehow now gone?
    When I was eight we lived in a ranch house and feasted on meat loaf and tater tots. If my mother caught me stealing, the consequences would have been swift and painful. Offering excuses or rationalizations would have made it worse for me, possibly in proportion to the degree of self-righteousness I expressed. I owe her for that. I might otherwise have grown up believing a sense of grievance was sufficient justification for stealing from others and that all my problems were the fault of a rigged system. What a terrible handicap that would be to impose on a child.

At the end of one of my semesters in college money was running out and most of what food was left was hot dogs. They were a major item in my diet for a week or so. Move out time is a bounty for dumpster diving in a college town. One time a friend discovered most of a deer, butchered, wrapped, labeled, and still partly frozen. It did not go to waste. I confess to white privilege, but have worn my horsehair shirt, too.

Ldahl: luckily I grew up just like you) No place is perfect and every country has problems. I was discussing this with my DIL from Poland. She is widely traveled and agrees.

We paid cash for my first 3 degrees by my ex working overtime in a blue collar job, living frugally with 3 kids. For one degree I had a full scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Turns out I was off today after a stretch of working doubles (but nice check coming!!!) but I have to haul my tired self downtown today for a last minute meeting. Apparently increased security measures are being discussed/implemented STAT due to the horrific shootings in Las Vegas early this morning or was it late last night? At any rate......I'm so creeped out I don't even have attitude to give about coming in on a day off - if it's to improve security after what happened in Las Vegas, it's a valid meeting in my book and I'm there.

Stay safe as best you can out there, folks. I worry about copy catters......those of us such as myself who work in or around juicy targets......let's just be as safe as we can and as aware as we can. Rob
    Rob,
    I've ben thinking about your meeting and was curious to find out what the new security instructions were (if you can say). I've also been thinking about the Las Vegas shooter and how many weapons were found in his hotel room. So do you think service staff are now going to be asked to be more vigilant about reporting anything out of the ordinary?
    Like, hotel maid to supervisor, "hey, this guy on the 32nd floor appears to have a lot of weaponry in his room." Supervisor to local police: "come over and talk to this guy."

It's the post 9/11 world, and we're all supposed to follow the See something, Say something rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Rob,
    I've ben thinking about your meeting and was curious to find out what the new security instructions were (if you can say). I've also been thinking about the Las Vegas shooter and how many weapons were found in his hotel room. So do you think service staff are now going to be asked to be more vigilant about reporting anything out of the ordinary?
    Like, hotel maid to supervisor, "hey, this guy on the 32nd floor appears to have a lot of weaponry in his room." Supervisor to local police: "come over and talk to this guy."

It's the post 9/11 world, and we're all supposed to follow the See something, Say something rule.
    When I stay at a hotel in the U.S., I put "Do not
    disturb" on the door. I dont want sheets or towels changed, or anything freshioned up. While some places have a policy that they WILL check your room every 3-4 days, I think it is easy to keep folks out of your room for the time necessary to set up a killing operation like this.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    When I was eight we lived in a ranch house and feasted on meat loaf and tater tots. If my mother caught me stealing, the consequences would have been swift and painful. Offering excuses or rationalizations would have made it worse for me, possibly in proportion to the degree of self-righteousness I expressed. I owe her for that. I might otherwise have grown up believing a sense of grievance was sufficient justification for stealing from others and that all my problems were the fault of a rigged system. What a terrible handicap that would be to impose on a child.
    I was raised that way too, but when my parents weren't looking my brothers and I would watch Robin Hood which was on the list of forbidden TV programs.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Rob,

Hi Lainey!
    Gotta say this Supervisory gig is complex in it's nature....there is so much I have to know and have to impliment in my new role. This is not a bad thing, just different is all. To answer your question.....and it's horrible as I can't repeat all which is so bizarre to me coming from a server role. What I can say is that going forward the background of temps will be checked deeper than the current 7 years, and that there will be more security at the Convention Center and that there will be more inspection of bags entering the Convention Center. Beyond this I can't say and I know this is lame but so is my new role.....also there is more stress on me to monitor the floor after Las Vegas. Rob

I just read the NV is increasing their armed plainclothes gaming board agents in both REno and Vegas.

Thread Information