Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Was off today....but now a meeting due to Las Vegas and security issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I heard they are looking at making equipment like silencers legal now, which would make it harder to see where gunfire is coming from and stop an active shooter.
    "Silencers", or as they are more properly known, "suppressors", *are* legal now. However, they require an expensive Federal tax stamp, and the paperwork required takes 9-18 months to process. They also require a special federal license to manufacture or repair. And you technically commit a felony if you hand a firearm with a suppressor on it to another person to use at the range. Or drive across state lines with one without filing the proper paperwork.

As a result, a suppressor tends to be expensive - ~$500 or more. And can't be maintained legally by the user, even though innards of many common types are consumable items.

Suppressors are common firearms safety equipment in Europe. They protect the hearing of the user and other people nearby. Some nations *require* their use when shooting. You can buy them over the counter there, and they cost about $25.

I teach a lot of people to shoot, especially younger people. Hearing protection is a big deal. I would love to be able to use suppressors in class, as you can in the more enlightened nations of Europe.

I'm hoping H.R.367 - the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 - will pass this year, if Trump manages to stay in office long enough to sign it.

sorry bae, but let's hope Trump does not stay in office long enough to make this happen. Many of our students come from Vegas so the college let us all know to work with them if they need time off to go home, etc. Extremely sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    sorry bae, but let's hope Trump does not stay in office long enough to make this happen.
    I'd happily postpone the bill until the next legislative session, in exchange for Trump stepping down.

So we can agree on some things.)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So we can agree on some things.)
    Yup. I have enough privilege to be able to go shoot in Europe at civilized shooting ranges, in peace and quiet. And where they serve remarkably good steak.

Williamsmith
    It’s likely new gun laws would not effect me so I’m not going to stress about it. I would ask though that you suspend emotion in favor of logic and try to preserve some of our freedoms for a few more years. I would hate to see the house to house confiscation that would be required to reduce the gun violence. My guess is Chicago could use a little of it however.

Whatever they do in Europe has got to be better, We have had over 200 shootings this year alone. I am not knee jerk on gun control or having it look a certain way since I know lots of gun owners, but we have got to figure something out. I think more than likely we will just have a lot of shootings.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Whatever they do in Europe has got to be better, We have had over 200 shootings this year alone. I am not knee jerk on gun control or having it look a certain way since I know lots of gun owners, but we have got to figure something out. I think more than likely we will just have a lot of shootings.
    We could improve our awareness of mental health issues. I investigated far too many gun sales to crazy individuals.

Just a few questions that were triggered by a CBC article. How many more people would have been killed if the gunman had used a silencer? Did not the gunshots get people aware that they were being fired upon and make them seek shelter more quickly? Did not the gunshots help the police find the source of the firing and find the gunman sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    "Silencers", or as they are more properly known, "suppressors", *are* legal now. u
    Suppressors are common firearms safety equipment in Europe. They protect the hearing of the user and other people nearby. Some nations *require* their use when shooting. You can buy them over the counter there, and they cost about $25.

I teach a lot of people to shoot, especially younger people. Hearing protection is a big deal. I would love to be able to use suppressors in class, as you can in the more enlightened nations of Europe.

I'm hoping H.R.367 - the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 - will pass this year, if Trump manages to stay in office long enough to sign it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Wasn't JFK assassinated from a building above him? This is not new, and I don't see how security measures can prevent it.

Thread Information