Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Was off today....but now a meeting due to Las Vegas and security issues.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If you're superbright like Bae you can get a college education regardless of income.

If you or your family has means or are willing to take out big loans you can get a college education regardless of ability.

If you are labelled disabled, including intellectually disabled, you can get a free college education even if like my former co-worker's son you come from a two income family that goes out to eat every night, vacations in exotic places like the Azores, etc.

But if you are of typical college intellectual material, but have limited means, and don't want to be in hock for life, good luck to you. Substitute "intelligence" for "income" and higher education is like healthcare. The top get it and the bottom get it, and the middle not so much.
    I have a close friend (female, and from the upper middle class who I met during my college days at Northern Arizona University). We have kept in touch all these years. My friend married a Canadian dual national (nothing to do with economics and she was no groupie like the groupies I met in Bellingham, Washington in 1996 desperately seeking to marry a Canadian to improve their lot in life - and for many Americans, such would be an upwards step and sorry, the 85006 in me won't let such reality go) - at any rate, this friend had to get her butt in motion pronto as after her divorce, she had a limited window of time to get her son Canadian citizenship and she just made it by a few days.....now her son has access to socialized medicine AND less expensive college tuition.

Me thinks the moral of the story is....cross national relationships can be such a wonderful thing......especially for any children involved....increases chances in life and economic options/security. And my friend Marnie comes from the upper middle class in America and EVEN SHE GETS THIS BASIC COMMON SENSE. (in all caps for anyone who believes their children are not worth access to health care or less expensive education available in one of the better countries). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'll give you credit Rob for probably not being aware that every woman I know doesn't mind getting their hands dirty. Plus, they may do things differently in the 85006.
    Hands are quite dirty in the 85006, Thank You very much. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I really don't think you get this so I am going to non-sarcastically and plainly spell it out for you. It had nothing to do with the silverware. Not at all. What did it have to do with?
    - Theft
    - Your mother teaching you theft was OK, especially from classes "higher" than your own
    - Your mother teaching you that you had no chance of mobility, so grab the silverware while you can!
    - Your mother teaching you a wide range of skills at deflection and diversion and rationalization. Of theft.

Much is explained, yup.

We are, this moment, mulling over the mounds of paperwork to move forward with
    Swiss naturalization status for DH. He may or may not go forward with it. For us, it would just be a lark, no real advantage that I can see.it seems to involve fees of at least $1,000 and four hour interviews in New York city, at minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I realize there's an anti-"silencer" spin going on today. Even Hilary got into the act. Presumably it's an attempt to derail H.R. 367, by capitalizing on a tragedy before the bodies have even been removed from the site.

People trying to use this incident to advance an agenda aren't particularly interested in facts however.
    Hmm, when even The Washington Post is dubious about the "evil silencers" rhetoric, you know you've got problems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.53a78ee6d9c2

(Note that the Post tried to be "balanced" by "debunking" the benefits of suppressors. In fact, most places I have used them, we *also* used hearing protection. Hearing loss is progressive, and every bit of excessive sound degrades your hearing over your lifetime exposure (one of the reasons I am so careful when instructing young people). So smart people use as much hearing protection as they can manage. )

- Theft
    - Your mother teaching you theft was OK, especially from classes "higher" than your own
    - Your mother teaching you that you had no chance of mobility, so grab the silverware while you can!
    - Your mother teaching you a wide range of skills at deflection and diversion and rationalization. Of theft.

Much is explained, yup.
    I could not disagree with you more. But the good news is that i going to print out your post and when I am tired, I will refer to it to give me oooomph to continue in the protests against what America is and what America has become. So in a way you have done me a favor here with your complete and total lack of understanding, so I will give you a non-sarcastic Thank You from the 85006. I discussed it with my husband, who says karma will settle all scores and make those who refuse to understand hungry at some later date. I don't wish you hunger, bae, hunger is awful and I know - I wish you some humanity is all. Some understanding of those who don't have your assets and are therefore not bubbled from the reality of the United States. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We are, this moment, mulling over the mounds of paperwork to move forward with
    Swiss naturalization status for DH. He may or may not go forward with it. For us, it would just be a lark, no real advantage that I can see.it seems to involve fees of at least $1,000 and four hour interviews in New York city, at minimum.
    OMG for the life of everyone struggling and living in fear in the 85006 - GET THE FOREIGN PASSPORT!!! AMERICA tDOES NOT CARE IF YOU LIVE OR DIE! (If you can handle socioeconomic reality to read this far, seriously....have DH get the passport....you don't know when your continued life will depend on it, and out of respect to all those hungry in the US, don't you believe you if you are able to get a Swiss passport, it's your moral and ethical responsibility to do so?) Seriously. IL, there are so many in the 85006 that could guide you and advise you, I truly wish you were here to hear a practical, no-loyalty-possible-whatsoever take on this issue from someone other than myself. Quite likely the most practical $1K you will ever spend....to have a permanent insurance policy against the United States? How can you even hesitate? Rob

OMG for the life of everyone struggling and living in fear in the 85006 - GET THE FOREIGN PASSPORT!!! AMERICA tDOES NOT CARE IF YOU LIVE OR DIE! (If you can handle socioeconomic reality to read this far, seriously....have DH get the passport....you don't know when your continued life will depend on it, and out of respect to all those hungry in the US, don't you believe you if you are able to get a Swiss passport, it's your moral and ethical responsibility to do so?) Seriously. IL, there are so many in the 85006 that could guide you and advise you, I truly wish you were here to hear a practical, no-loyalty-possible-whatsoever take on this issue from someone other than myself. Quite likely the most practical $1K you will ever spend....to have a permanent insurance policy against the United States? How can you even hesitate? Rob
    I figured this would get you all heated up, but my "moral and ethical responsibility" is hyperbole in the extreme. You are being ridiculous, I cant imagine why saving myself from the AMerica of your nightmares is either ethical or moral. Getting Swiss papers would be of benefit only to us, it doesnt help anyone else, how is that "ethical?"

Why don't YOU have an Austrian passport? And why is your husband even here, if he can legally settle in Mexico? I think "the 85006" needs to take issue with both of YOU and "guide and advise" you both right outta here.

I discussed it with my husband, who says karma will settle all scores and make those who refuse to understand hungry at some later date.
    Wow. You guys must be fun at parties.

I know what hunger is. See previous discussion of squirrel brain recipes, and methods of preparing roadkill. I used to fish, for our dinner, every day upon returning from school, before I did my homework. And I ran a muskrat trapline in the swamp, to generate some hard cash from the general store, and some extra meat.

Some understanding of those who don't have your assets and are therefore not bubbled from the reality of the United States. Rob
    So you claim to have a firm and correct understanding of America, developed when you were 8 years old. When I was 8, we were living in a single-wide in the swamp and feasting on swamp things - but because I have acquired assets since then, my understanding is somehow now gone?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Wow. You guys must be fun at parties.

I know what hunger is. See previous discussion of squirrel brain recipes, and methods of preparing roadkill. I used to fish, for our dinner, every day upon returning from school, before I did my homework. And I ran a muskrat trapline in the swamp, to generate some hard cash from the general store, and some extra meat.

So you claim to have a firm and correct understanding of America, developed when you were 8 years old. When I was 8, we were living in a single-wide in the swamp and feasting on swamp things - but because I have acquired assets since then, my understanding is somehow now gone?

Curiouser and curiouser.
    or, ridiculouser and ridiculouser.

Thread Information