Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    This raises a question for me. The speed of sound at ground level is what, 1100 feet/second or so? Wouldn't your average bullet travel fast enough to create its own little sonic boom regardless of how efficiently the suppressor worked? Is it safe for me to assume that those little "pfft, pfft" sounds you hear in spy movies is Hollywood BS? Sort of like the "boom" exploding spaceships make in a vacuum?
    Correct.

Suppressors do a great job of protecting the shooter's hearing, and the hearing of nearby bystanders from the muzzle blast of the ignited powder. They don't do the James Bond phffft thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Correct.

Suppressors do a great job of protecting the shooter's hearing, and the hearing of nearby bystanders from the muzzle blast of the ignited powder. They don't do the James Bond phffft thing.
    Thanks. I'll remember that next time I infiltrate a SPECTRE facility.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Thanks. I'll remember that next time I infiltrate a SPECTRE facility.
    I can recommend some equipment for that which uses subsonic ammunition and a single-shot action in the firearm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine

I have a shuetzen that shoots subsonic 22 shorts that's pretty quiet.

Interesting article yesterday that I found out about today:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.82f6562e7abf

Then I saw one (was it through here? catching up for the week), about how a police dept. is issuing suppressors to all the police rifles, to save them money on workers comp, as well as lawsuits that happen when one can't hear needed info over the sound of their gunfire, or when civilians get their ears injured because of events around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    By the title, it already sounds contradicting.

Williamsmith
    It is interesting that the first response to this politically is to target “rate of fire” mechanisms. That’s an amorphous ...easily massaged criterion. Note they don’t specifically go after the bump stock or even “slide fire” by name. That has an ominous feeling to it.

What could be done to study the process by which the person brings themselves to “dehumanize” enough to attack crowds of people?

Are the protectionists purposely keeping the discussion out of the media because I thought there would be an uproar surpassing that of Sandy Hook?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    It is interesting that the first response to this politically is to target “rate of fire” mechanisms. That’s an amorphous ...easily massaged criterion.
    That seems an odd approach, as I can easily change the "rate of fire" of a firearm by using different ammunition, changing springs, muzzle brakes, changing the size of gas ports, and so on. (Indeed, some firearms I own have adjustable gas ports so that you can adapt the firearm to different ammunition.) And I'm not aware that firearms have a legally-specified "rate of fire" at manufacture or design time.

Thread Information