Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas

It's not that people are not doing anything as much as figuring out how to prevent these things. I don't think anyone knows. Gun control is an easy default reaction, but back when assault weapons were banned it didn't seem to help. There are some smaller things like magazine capacity that and background checks that may or may not help, but it will mostly just make things a little more difficult. My opinion is that gun control is too late. Mental health issues? Maybe, but how do you fix that? Again, maybe a head start on people showing some danger to themselves or others, but many others will slip through any screening.

What has been done is more reactive than proactive, but it's significant. The training of first responders, teachers, hospital staff, and law enforcement I would suspect has saved many lives. I can think of a few examples where every day citizens being alert to suspicious behaviors has prevented similar events. Maybe added security at airports and other public events has helped. Regarding Jimmy Kimmel's emotional presentation, I can agree, but a lot of the things aimed at international terrorism can be a catch all for domestic acts, too.

Personal opinion, I think toning down hatred and violence is part of the answer. It's in politics and race, but also in popular videos and games and worries about health care. It's in the greed of financial institutions that make dangerous personal information public and angry radio commentators. It seems like it is part of our social fabric. People just seem angry these days.

That's about the best I can think of on a hard problem.

I think last time one of these happened, I suggested folks here at the very least learn some basic first aid of the sort useful for mass casualty situations: shootings, car accidents, plane crashes, bombs set off during marathons, and so on. I think I mentioned one of my frequent firefighting partners was running the Boston Marathon when the bombs went off, and his training helped.

It's not rocket science.

I wonder how many people here have improved their first aid skills over the past year? And/or are current on their CPR certification?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

I wonder how many people here have improved their first aid skills over the past year? And/or are current on their CPR certification?
    Never had taken CPR or first aid, but I recently took a combined first aid/CPR/AED/O2 administrator class. It was a prerequisite for the Rescue Diver class I took last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Never had taken CPR or first aid, but I recently took a combined first aid/CPR/AED/O2 administrator class. It was a prerequisite for the Rescue Diver class I took last week.
    That's rock star! (We have a shortage of rescue divers/rescue swimmers here, and a whole lot of ocean and river to cover :-( )

That's rock star! (We have a shortage of rescue divers/rescue swimmers here, and a whole lot of ocean and river to cover :-( )
    Bae, this was not a public safety rescue diver class. It's the recreational rescue diver class for lay folk. I was the only one in the class who was not going on to become a dive master.

We learned how to do swimming rescues. I had to jump into water 50ft deep, with only mask and fins on. I did have a new 3mm wetsuit that was incredibly buoyant (I'm naturally floaty anyway). I'm not a strong swimmer, but I'd forgotten I'm a speed demon with fins on. I did fine. Big confidence builder.

We also had to bring up an "unconscious" diver from 20ft deep, swim them in to the beach at the quarry while stripping their gear AND mine, while giving rescue breaths. Once you got into chest deep water, you took off your fins, and flipped them onto your back for the backpack carry. I did this multiple times with guys 6" taller than my 5'5" and many pounds heavier. One guy and I chair carried our 6'4", 300 lb instructor, but not very far!

It was a fun class! I took it with 3 friends/dive buddies!

I'm a nurse in a safety net hospital. We're always training and planning. I'm always hoping that it's wasted training in that I never need to use it.

I think last time one of these happened, I suggested folks here at the very least learn some basic first aid of the sort useful for mass casualty situations: shootings, car accidents, plane crashes, bombs set off during marathons, and so on. I think I mentioned one of my frequent firefighting partners was running the Boston Marathon when the bombs went off, and his training helped.

It's not rocket science.

But how does one prevent these shootings from happening?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of CPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

So far the only red flag I've seen presented in this was recent purchases of weapons.

Businesses have to report large transactions of money (this person I read triggered this numerous times gambling) - why not for large weapons purchases?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    But the U.S. has changed drastically. Something is obviously not working. Something needs to change. How can we "settle" for these massacres and not be driven to change something? Our inaction will be our downfall. Accepting these things as just the way it has to be........well......then I might want to move. It's shameful. Did anyone watch Jimmy Kimmel's opening last night? He's right on. We do everything possible to protect our country against other countries........but why won't we do something for us in these cases? He's from LV and he talked about the 2 horrible hotel fires that killed a few people. They figured out how to keep it from happening again, made the changes, and there's been no fires since. So why can't we fix this??.........or at least TRY.

WilliamSmith.........you're right.........no way do I want Trump figuring anything out!
    I understand. It's important. Jimmy Kimmel wept. But empathy isn't a policy. Before we toss out that old powdered-wig constitution and unleash the commissars "to at least TRY", what specifically would you do? If we're going to trade some old-timey liberties for better protection from each other, I would like some idea of what it would look like and whether it would be likely to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

The default position is always gun control, which is the wrong answer.

Food for thought: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.5ee8a0672a36
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information