Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas

But maybe this internal strife, the ongoing shootings, is our violence/cross to bear. Maybe humans have internal need to have violence in their lives. There is a theory of war that war allows acceptable outlet for killing, raping, mayhem for those who have this need. That is not at all people of course, not by a long shot, and our military folks are largely not of this mental mindset.
    many of them seem to be ex-military, so they would have been people who at one point did have a chance to have an external enemy (no I didn't say the converse and that a great deal of ex-military are going on shooting rampages or anything like that - suicide seems to be the main risk there). So maybe these few deeply disturbed people can't get that in their lives anymore? Wow sad.

I don't like the generalizations about maybe humans have a need for violence etc. as statistically the overwhelming amount of such violence is committed by males, so more a case of who you calling "we"?
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If you hold a semi-automatic rifle "loosely", so that it is not quite contacting the correct area on your shoulder, when you pull the trigger and it fires, and it recoils, it will bounce back, hit your shoulder, and bounce forward again. If you have held your trigger-finger firmly-but-loosely during this process, and if your forward grip hand is somewhat loose, as it bounces back it will attempt to travel past the spot where your trigger finger is, and your finger will-reengage the trigger, and the firearm will fire again. And the process will continue.

This is a bit of a stupid thing to do generally, more of a parlor trick, as rifle accuracy is dependent upon properly shouldering the firearm, maintaining a correct alignment of muscles and bones, tension, breath control, trigger control, and sighting. Accuracy with the "bump" method is very very poor, and it's not the safest thing in the world to do.

The "bump-fire" stocks make the stunt easier to accomplish (a bit, it only takes 2-3 minutes to learn to do this without any equipment), but the stocks don't really address the accuracy issues. IMO they are a novelty item to separate foolish shooters from their money.

Note also that the same effect can be had with a piece of string.

The BATF technical division has issued several detailed letters on the subject that people interested in facts can dig up easily enough.
    Interesting. I suspect that crude manual methods are possible, but lack a large degree of control. This utube video using a commercial bump stock seems to be relatively controllable. I understand that the ATF has reviewed them and they are currently legal, but if you ask me it pretty much looks like a machine gun. I don't think you could do that with a string (or maybe it just takes a lot of practice).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U6tORrODJE

There was a case a few years back where a fellow was convicted of "constructive possession" because he had a piece of string and an AR-15. Probably he shouldn't have filmed it in use.

The "crude manual methods" work just as well as that overpriced stock, which is just a toy to part idiot shooters from their money.

The reason it isn't a "machine gun" involves technicalities of the law - basically the trigger is being independently pressed for each round fired. The basic legal difference between a fully-automatic firearm and a semi-automatic firearm is simply that - how many rounds are fired per press of the trigger.

Among other things, I have an actual Gatling gun - those are completely legal and are not classified as machine guns, or licensed in any funny way. Because each round requires an independent action. If I were to attach the crank handle to an electric motor, and wire it to an on-off switch, that would be different - it would then be a fully-automatic weapon, and I'd have committed several serious federal and state offenses in the construction of it. (People don't use actual Gatling guns in crimes often, because they weigh hundreds of pounds and cost ~$30k or more, plus the ammunition costs to fire it are insane. And cleaning it after you use it takes hours.)

There are so many problems in today's world. As I've said before, I think a big problem (besides some people being inherently evil) is our constitution and Bill of Rights. I can hear some of you screaming already. These things were written in a totally different world. In today's world, it lets the rights of the individual outway the health of the nation......the good of the whole.
    This gun issue is just insane. Gun owners freak out when there's talk of any changes........even if it would do good....because they, personally don't want to give anything up.
    And we treat criminals too kindly. We can't continue to be kind and fair and nice and keep all the same rules, if we want to see any difference in this country in the future. We've become the "me" country and have a hard time even imagining giving up anything at all......even if it would save lives.

There are many good things about this country, but damn........it's really starting to disappoint me.

Williamsmith
    Many good things about this country, I agree. Two of the best are the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Unless you think our current elder statesmen and women are capable of creating a better set of documents......you know , the same people who can’t seem to get anything accomplished now. So we better just go with what brung us here. Unless you want The Don to give it a go. I’m sure he would Make the Constitution Great Again and tweet out a big Bill of Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    As I've said before, I think a big problem (besides some people being inherently evil) is our constitution and Bill of Rights. I can hear some of you screaming already.
    Two thoughts, from a man who said it well:

"The liberties of our Country, the freedom of our civil constitution are worth defending at all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair Inheritance from our worthy Ancestors: They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood; and transmitted them to us with care and diligence. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle; or be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men. Of the latter we are in most danger at present: Let us therefore be aware of it. Let us contemplate our forefathers and posterity; and resolve to maintain the rights bequeath'd to us from the former, for the sake of the latter."

And

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"

You all are probably right. Nothing can be done. These sorts of mass shootings will just continue to be the norm. Hey, it is just American culture or human nature or both.

I guess the best I can do is increase my situational awareness and just hope it never happens to me.

Yppej
    The shooter had a heavy gambling addiction. I wonder if anyone will dare suggest to Las Vegas that gambling rather than guns should be banned.

But the U.S. has changed drastically. Something is obviously not working. Something needs to change. How can we "settle" for these massacres and not be driven to change something? Our inaction will be our downfall. Accepting these things as just the way it has to be........well......then I might want to move. It's shameful. Did anyone watch Jimmy Kimmel's opening last night? He's right on. We do everything possible to protect our country against other countries........but why won't we do something for us in these cases? He's from LV and he talked about the 2 horrible hotel fires that killed a few people. They figured out how to keep it from happening again, made the changes, and there's been no fires since. So why can't we fix this??.........or at least TRY.

WilliamSmith.........you're right.........no way do I want Trump figuring anything out!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The shooter had a heavy gambling addiction. I wonder if anyone will dare suggest to Las Vegas that gambling rather than guns should be banned.
    Well, my opinion is that LV shouldn't even be there........Yes, maybe a little town in the middle of the desert, but not what's there now.

Thread Information