Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 157

Thread: Las Vegas

  1. #91
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,343
    I suspect banning bump stocks will be a token move to take a little pressure off other gun control issues. A smart move for Republicans. Politicians look like there are doing something. If what Bae says is true, that they are mostly a cheap toy to part idiots from their money, it's no big deal for the gun people. Everyone wins. Whether anything significant gets done is debatable. Some of the videos and comments refer to poor accuracy, but at 500 yards shooting into an are the size of football fields, that has little importance.

    Hopefully Gatling Guns for collectors will be grandfathered in somehow. They do have an analogous firing mechanism. I have a country friend who has a fairly large canon that shoots juice can sized projectiles. It's popular at some weddings, fourth of July, etc. So I guess there are still canons.

    There is a lot of figure twisting when it comes to guns and mass shootings. It's become politicized. There was a day before Reagan when the NRA actually supported some gun controls. This is the article I tend to believe (six things to know about mass shootings in America), but everyone has their favorite information source that probably includes Brietbart .
    https://theconversation.com/six-thin...-america-48934

  2. #92
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Check out this article from The Onion. It really zings!

    ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens


    http://www.theonion.com/article/no-w...ere-this-36131

    What do you believe the point of attributing quotes to fictional people and satirizing mass shootings to be?

  3. #93
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,343
    Since first responders have been mentioned a few times in the discussion, there is a Wash Post article today reporting on the new methods they used in Vegas that saved many lives. There are a lot of everyday heroes in our country!

  4. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,406
    If people only had guns that could fire 1 shot at a time then these mass killings would not be occurring. If you hunt you would still be able to, etc. No one wants to seem to look at how guns have evolved and the average citizen has no need for one to be semi-automatic, automatic, etc. I also don't need someone to do an exhaustive explanation of the different types of guns like has been done in the past. This is not that hard of a problem to control. The problem is that the NRA is so rich and powerful and so much $ is made off of gun sales.

  5. #95
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The problem is that the NRA is so rich and powerful and so much $ is made off of gun sales.
    Let's see your data on that.

  6. #96
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    This is not that hard of a problem to control.
    With the machine tools in my garage, I can build an AR-15 in an afternoon. But I don't have particularly good tools, it's easier than that and requires no skill with some of the other options out there:

    You can, for not much of an investment. get a computer-controlled milling machine that will produce the relevant bits for AR-15s without skill needed:

    https://ghostgunner.net/

    But that's if you want a traditional metal firearm. You can easily 3D print quite a few firearms, and again, without much investment or skill:

    http://www.printedfirearm.com/category/receiverslowers/

    Interestingly, some firearms receivers can also simply be carved out of wood, or glued together from laminated cutouts.

    And that's if you want a nice AR-15. If you want to build an AK-47 at home, you can basically make one with a hammer and some rocks.

    For some sound reasons, the AR-15 platform is the top-selling rifle in America, and has been for some years. There are ~10 million of them out there. It's not going to be easy to put that horse back in the barn.

  7. #97
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,270
    To enact further gun legislation after we already have a gratuitously armed society seems to me to be like getting a foot of water in your house first and then throwing sandbags out the front door expecting it to keep more water from pouring in.

    The only proven method to stem the tide has been house to house search and seizure operations followed by capital punishment for unbelievers. What other country do you know owns half the worlds complement of guns but makes up only 3% of the population? That’s why other countries solutions can’t work here.

    To suggest less is like shooting a bottle rocket at the moon and calling it a space program.

  8. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,751
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    With the machine tools in my garage, I can build an AR-15 in an afternoon. But I don't have particularly good tools, it's easier than that and requires no skill with some of the other options out there:

    You can, for not much of an investment. get a computer-controlled milling machine that will produce the relevant bits for AR-15s without skill needed:

    https://ghostgunner.net/

    But that's if you want a traditional metal firearm. You can easily 3D print quite a few firearms, and again, without much investment or skill:

    http://www.printedfirearm.com/category/receiverslowers/

    Interestingly, some firearms receivers can also simply be carved out of wood, or glued together from laminated cutouts.

    And that's if you want a nice AR-15. If you want to build an AK-47 at home, you can basically make one with a hammer and some rocks.

    For some sound reasons, the AR-15 platform is the top-selling rifle in America, and has been for some years. There are ~10 million of them out there. It's not going to be easy to put that horse back in the barn.
    If it were that easy, wouldn't we be reading about the country being flooded with untraceable homemade firearms? Or are factory made pieces simply cheaper and easier to obtain?

  9. #99
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,707
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If it were that easy, wouldn't we be reading about the country being flooded with untraceable homemade firearms? Or are factory made pieces simply cheaper and easier to obtain?
    Because most firearms, even "untraceable homemade" ones, don't get used in crime, so it doesn't show up on the radar much?

    And why bother now, except for fun, when there are simpler options, like going to WalMart? Where you get a warranty even.

    I do know there's a booming business in 80%-complete receivers, which are not legally firearms, and which require generally drilling a couple of holes and 5 minutes with a file to complete. Manufacturing for home use like that is perfectly legal under Federal law, if you follow a few simple guidelines.

    An already-manufactured AR-15 lower receiver is quite inexpensive now as well, so someone who didn't want to spend a couple hours dorking around making one might just buy one - here's some examples from one of the main parts suppliers:

    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...vers/index.htm

    Notice that for ~$50 you can get something that'll take you mere minutes to complete. The rest of the assembly is cookbook after that - I've built 4-5 this way so I could get exactly the rifle I wanted, for some competition rifles I was making. I didn't feel like dropping $1k to get the improved mill to make 100% of the thing myself for just a couple of projects.

    (I'm not sure where "traceable" enters into this particular problem's analysis btw).

    But if you blow the whistle tomorrow and ban new manufacture, you won't stop the supply, as these firearms are totally trivial to make at home.

  10. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,751
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

    (I'm not sure where "traceable" enters into this particular problem's analysis btw).
    I was thinking of serial numbers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •