Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas

It's mystifying to me that our culture glorifies self-reliance and personal "freedom" to such an extent that we disregard its oftentimes harm to the whole of us. In case we haven't noticed, humans aren't very good at regulating themselves and probably never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, using "synthetic" data to simulate what may have happened if particular states had not adopted open carry laws, the decline in violent crime is reported to be less dramatic than it might have been, thereby equaling a 10-15% increase in violent crime.

Got it!
    He's comparing apples to "synthetic apples" grown from orchards in his synthetic states. I don't know that it's necessarily an invalid analysis, but it's the sort of thing that will be misinterpreted.

My understanding was that over the longish term we have increased the number of guns in circulation while gun-related deaths have declined. I have nothing against research of the non-tendentious variety.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    He's comparing apples to "synthetic apples" grown from orchards in his synthetic states. I don't know that it's necessarily an invalid analysis, but it's the sort of thing that will be misinterpreted.
    Or a least put into scare quotes to make it seem invalid without actually discussing whether the approach is valid or not.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    It's been inspirational to see exactly how people helped--people who had previously served in the military seemed most able to figure out what to do quickly (not surprisingly). There was one guy who served in Afghanistan (I think) and he actually commandeered a truck that was just sitting there that happened to have keys in it and he and his gf quickly transported 20-30 people to the hospital. Wow.

Learning CPR has been on my list since my DH swallowed a cherry tomato whole in my son's kitchen and nearly lost consciousness. I just stood there shouting in a panic at my son to "Do the Heimlich!!!" but my son could only try to mimic what he had seen on TV. Thankfully all ended well, but it showed me just how quickly things can happen.
    Three days ago I sat with our friend, a physician, at a dim sum restaurant. An old guy stood up at a table behind us, and couldn't breathe. People with him were trying the Heimleich maneuver on him with no luck, but she calmly walked over, pumped the guy a few times, and got him breathing again. He sat down and finished his meal.

I have doubt that I could be successful at that.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It reminds me of budget talks (back when the government used to do annual budgets) whenever Republicans were in power. A 3% increase in any area would be reported as a 7% cut as the expectation was that government should grow by 10% annually.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Or a least put into scare quotes to make it seem invalid without actually discussing whether the approach is valid or not.
    Morrison put quotes around "synthetic states" in his article. I didn't find it particularly scary.

Several years ago I was in the grocery store when an older fellow collapsed on the floor. When I got over to him a circle of maybe ten people had gather around him and were just looking. He was pasty white, but breathing. The EMTs showed up fairly quickly and hauled him off. I decided then to go through CPR/first aid training. I did it through work and actually got bonus points for getting a whole class full of co-workers to go. I've been re-certified twice, but it's been a while now. It's good training that everyone should have. I think I could handle some very basic CPR/first aid, but should probably have a review and certification.

My sister was choking on a piece of hard candy and no one knew what to do except my Aunt. She had never practiced but saw it on TV. Luckily she was successful.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    It's mystifying to me that our culture glorifies self-reliance and personal "freedom" to such an extent that we disregard its oftentimes harm to the whole of us. In case we haven't noticed, humans aren't very good at regulating themselves and probably never will be.
    Good point that someone elsewhere on the net said also - What about our right not to be victims of a crazed shooter?

Yppej
    Starbucks employees are reporting the shooter was verbally abusive to his girlfriend. I wonder what information if any about him we may learn from his ex wives. There may have been red flags about him, but not the ones like a criminal record or mental health hospital admission, that people are used to looking at.

Thread Information