Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty's passing

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    It does seem very young to me, and sudden.
    He had been a heroin addict for part of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    He had been a heroin addict for part of his life.
    well if he was still using then maybe, or other substances "they pulled poor old Hank Williams out of a Cadillac Coupe DeVille ...". Petty has several songs about drugs and beyond just last dances with mary jane.

Otoh 66 year old men can very well just get heart attacks from heart blockages and nothing else, really scary to think about, guess I won't eat that burger today. And it is too damn young to lose such a talent, but it's not 30, and so it's not: "therefore it MUST be drugs". If he got off heroine, I don't think there is much evidence it has any negative effect on lifespan at that point, the risk is from mostly from active using.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    According to NIDA there ate long-term effects on the heart's lining and valves.

I have only one Petty album but, as news reports and social media posts played songs of his, I realized just how many of them I liked. 66 is way too young, even for someone who dabbled in drugs. It does not help Petty (or any of the other musical and film/TV stars of our era) that we can so readily play back performances from 30-40 years ago. It's hard to look at a fresh-faced 25-year-old Tom Petty and reconcile his passing now as anything but too soon.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    well if he was still using then maybe, or other substances "they pulled poor old Hank Williams out of a Cadillac Coupe DeVille ...". Petty has several songs about drugs and beyond just last dances with mary jane.

Otoh 66 year old men can very well just get heart attacks from heart blockages and nothing else, really scary to think about, guess I won't eat that burger today. And it is too damn young to lose such a talent, but it's not 30, and so it's not: "therefore it MUST be drugs". If he got off heroine, I don't think there is much evidence it has any negative effect on lifespan at that point, the risk is from mostly from active using.
    APN, it is interesting that you connected woth Petty so much! I wouldnt have guessed that.

I cant say that I could name any Petty songs, and I listened to a couple yesterday, not familiar.

This made me go out and find what was one of his songs that was my favorite, that I haven't heard in a LONG time: You got lucky babe.

I think I saw him twice in concert also, though ages ago at this point, good concerts they were too.
    Trees don't grow on money

It's Good to be King, and Here Comes My Girl are my favorites, but it's hard to choose from such a great career list.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I can say when I was working in Bellingham, Washington the summer of 1996, I respected the young women at the time trying to marry a Canadian man to solve some of their problems.....Canada being much more socialized than the US. Tom Petty was one of the idols of these young ladies and my Tom Petty memories will be forever intertwined with the reality of American citizens attempting to upgrade their citizenship with a move via marriage to Canada. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I can say when I was working in Bellingham, Washington the summer of 1996, I respected the young women at the time trying to marry a Canadian man to solve some of their problems.....Canada being much more socialized than the US. Tom Petty was one of the idols of these young ladies and my Tom Petty memories will be forever intertwined with the reality of American citizens attempting to upgrade their citizenship with a move via marriage to Canada. Rob
    Wow. No matter the topic...

Thread Information