Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty's passing

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Wow. No matter the topic...
    So was the reality of these groupies desperately seeking to marry a Canadian citizen in this US border town in 1996....even then when the economy was not so horrible for the lower classes there were young Americans desperately trying to gain access to Canada via marriage. I see so much hope in this cold blooded practicality and this cold blooded knowledge of the many deficiencies of US citizenship that young people even then were attempting to marry their way out of the US to better citizenship. I respect these young people for idolizing Tom Petty as they did in the border towns of Bellingham and Blaine,Washington. Rob

Just out of curiosity Rob, why did your mother emigrate from Austria only to teach you to hate America?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Just out of curiosity Rob, why did your mother emigrate from Austria only to teach you to hate America?
    No, at the time when she boarded the Pam Am to immigrate to the US in 1965, this was the place to be. Plus my mother has always seen Mary Tyler Moore and her Capri Pants as a vehicle to minimize chances of hunger and malnutrition. Come the 80's this fantasy was quickly dashed.....yes even back then for people capable of thinking, America was permanently reduced in both hope and stature. So goes reality, I never said reality was a pleasant or fair thing, now did I? Rob

Yppej
    In my family it's been the opposite. Canadians have attended US colleges, married Americans and moved to the United States.

Both the dating pool and the job market have been bigger south of the border. In my family it has always been Canadian women, not men, who have switched countries.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    No, at the time when she boarded the Pam Am to immigrate to the US in 1965, this was the place to be. Plus my mother has always seen Mary Tyler Moore and her Capri Pants as a vehicle to minimize chances of hunger and malnutrition. Come the 80's this fantasy was quickly dashed.....yes even back then for people capable of thinking, America was permanently reduced in both hope and stature. So goes reality, I never said reality was a pleasant or fair thing, now did I? Rob
    So if Capri Pants come back into style, everything will be good?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Not quite the same, but ankle pants are in now, and the job market is strong.

No, at the time, back in 1965, it was not hard to find a job (unlike now) what would serve on a cold blooded basis to minimize your risk of hunger. Now that such days are permanently gone in the US, you can't really blame those whose blood always ran cold to seek out the best citizenship deal for themselves with no loyalty whatsoever. Just as a friendly FYI, it does not say practical things about your nature if you don't understand this.......but I can only worry about those closest to me and now to protect them via better citizenship/better "green cards" to one of the many better foreign countries. Rob

Yppej
    It is not hard to find a job now especially if you have an in demand skill like a CDL license.

Tom Petty was one of the greatest songwriters in American history!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Tom Petty was one of the greatest songwriters in American history!
    Nice segue. Thanks!

Thread Information