Thread: Frozen mashed potatoes

Frozen mashed potatoes

I like to make mashed potatoes and freeze them to use later. I'm never sure how far ahead I can do this because I don't know how long they will last in the freezer.

Any advice is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I like to make mashed potatoes and freeze them to use later. I'm never sure how far ahead I can do this because I don't know how long they will last in the freezer.

Any advice is welcome.
    I don't have advice but am also interested in the question, as I grew a lot potatoes this year and would be cool to cook them and then freeze them as frozen mashed potatoes for easy dinners.

Do they freeze nicely? I love mashed potatoes, but I rarely make them because of the calories, the time, and the mess.

Do you freeze them before you add other ingredients, or ...?

I often make mashed potatoes and freeze them. I make them full out with milk and salt and butter. Sure, the consistency changes a bit when frozen, but not enough to bother me.

I often use them in cottage pies, which I freeze.

Once frozen,they are preserved in the same state for a long time. Thats what freezing is.I dont know how long the OP means. Theoretically, if there is no,frrezer burn, freezing for two days or two months should make no difference.

For those who havent tried them frozen I suggest makng a small batch and freeze them to test how you like them.

I actually would like to freeze potato soup and have vague memories from long ago of it not working well. The best web consensus I could run across was that it was freezing the milk that caused problems and they suggested freezing everything, but adding the milk the day it's to be served. I've had frozen mashed potatoes in TV dinners (not in my current diet plan) that tasted pretty good.

I mash potatoes with sour cream, real butter, salt and pepper (sometimes a little cream cheese) and they freeze well. I’ve never used milk in mashed potatoes. Consistency is good when thawed. I’m not sure how long they will do in a freezer as I usually make 4-6 small containers (for 2) and use within a month or two..