Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I, Robot by Asimov

I, Robot by Asimov

I, Robot is a classic I have been meaning to read for a while. I have read a couple other books by Asimov but they felt slow.

This one though, has proven to move quick so far and be quite intriguing.

I am hoping it continues at this pace and maintains its interesting story line and character.

I read that entire series. From the robots to the foundation series and more. I think it was something like a dozen books and each one got longer. But I loved it! It took me over a year and it took me about 20,000 years into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I read that entire series. From the robots to the foundation series and more. I think it was something like a dozen books and each one got longer. But I loved it! It took me over a year and it took me about 20,000 years into the future.
    That is a strong recommendation!

I am still enjoying the book and I stayed up a bit late last night to read it.

I love the Foundation series. Another good book by Asimov is The Gods Themselves.

One of the reasons I, Robot reads quickly is that it is really a series of short stories, instead of a novel. So you have a series of short episodes, instead of one novel with one major plot line. I was surprised when I heard they were making a movie of it, because of the short story aspect. But the movie isn't bad--not as disjointed as I feared it might be.

Also, the stories were some of Asimov's earlier work, when he was still being heavily edited by the publishers of the SciFi magazines the stories were published in. Asimov benefited greatly from some of the editors he worked with. As his reputation grew, the editing eased up a bit and some of his later works, while imaginative and creative as only Asimov could be, really could have used a strong editorial hand to tighten them up and improve the pacing, among other things, a wee bit.

UA, you might like Timothy Gawnes' Old Guy series. Start with the prequel Neoliberal Economists Must Die! It's about a future where humans are gone, leaving their intelligent war machines behind to build a civilization of their own. I think Gawnes shares some of your cultural/political sensibilities. He also references the three laws of robotics.

This book just gets more and more compelling. I had no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Another good book by Asimov is The Gods Themselves.
    I read that one, and it made me think Asimov's work might not be for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I really loved those books. I read them in sequence, too!

Another SF writer I adore is John Wyndham, his books including The Triffids, The Problem with Lichen and The Kraken Wakes. I reread a couple recently and, whilst dated, were still a good read.

I haven't read it but am curious if the movie stayed close to the book or not. I tend to get depressed on futuristic books...like a sense of lost hope for humanity.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information