Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rob's anti-America thread

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I notice this board is really not about simple living anymore. It is about every topic anyone wants to post about and that is ok. There used to be frugal board out there that was only frugal topics, but veered off course and now gone. Sometimes I wonder if this is the future of this board too.
    When I first joined this forum there were a lot of topics about simple/frugal living. Many good topics started and a lot of good information. Even if not simple living directly related they were lighthearted (many started by Mrs. M), informative and not as extreme and unkind as many comments have become. I miss that. I feel that this forum is becoming a place to get on a ‘soap box’ rather than sharing substantial, helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I don't see myself as a victim. I couldn't care less what the 85006 thinks. I'm not impressed with a high crime and low income zip code. The bulk of the 85006 are not someone most in the country would want their children to immulate. How many from the 85006 fled from Mexico to live here? Why don't they leave?
    I used to live in the 85006 and there were reportedly many people who moved from Mexico for a better life in AZ. I actually worked directly with many immigrants. My job was working for a union of immigrant construction workers who were all born in Mexico and emigrated to the US.

One of my colleagues said: "You make much more money here!"

And another said: "In Mexico, if I wanted to buy a pizza dinner for my whole family, that was a special treat. Here I can get us pizza anytime I want."

These sorts of statements were a constant. None of my colleagues ever said they wanted to go back to Mexico, nor did they say anything bad about America. They usually just talked about getting their papers and having citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I used to live in the 85006 and there were reportedly many people who moved from Mexico for a better life in AZ. I actually worked directly with many immigrants. My job was working for a union of immigrant construction workers who were all born in Mexico and emigrated to the US.

One of my colleagues said: "You make much more money here!"

And another said: "In Mexico, if I wanted to buy a pizza dinner for my whole family, that was a special treat. Here I can get us pizza anytime I want."

These sorts of statements were a constant. None of my colleagues ever said they wanted to go back to Mexico, nor did they say anything bad about America. They usually just talked about getting their papers and having citizenship.
    Alan, I truly do not understand why this thread exists as titled. Why is it not "Ultralight's anti-Rob thread"? Since when does someone get to start a thread for someone else, putting words in their mouth?

This seems like ganging up on someone to mock them. I am really bothered by this, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Alan, I truly do not understand why this thread exists as titled.
    I'm not in the habit of censoring others or approving threads. It always ends up inflaming someone and becomes a huge headache.

I do appreciate the fact that someone made an effort to divert another members propensity to turn completely unrelated threads to a critique of America. If Rob feels that he is being unfairly called out I will be happy to suggest a change in title and assist in editing it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Rob posted to the thread I started about Tom Petty with comments that were then moved to a thread he did not start. That seemed to me to be a form of censorship, by discouraging him to share what he wanted to share in the Tom Petty thread.

I understand that many are irritated by Rob's comments, but taking them and putting them in a "ghettoized thread--here is the only place you are allowed to post these thoughts" seems wrong to me.

That is what I meant.

Rob posted to the thread I started about Tom Petty with comments that were then moved to a thread he did not start. That seemed to me to be a form of censorship, by discouraging him to share what he wanted to share in the Tom Petty thread.

I understand that many are irritated by Rob's comments, but taking them and putting them in a "ghettoized thread--here is the only place you are allowed to post these thoughts" seems wrong to me.

That is what I meant.
    One comment was moved to a more appropriate thread in an effort to preserve the continuity of the original thread. Rob's extreme take on America always provokes a strong response, it would be unfair to you to disrupt your thread any further.

In a baseball game, if there are multiple umpires behind the catcher, there may be disagreements about each pitch's proximity to the strike zone. Being an umpire sucks.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Alan, I truly do not understand why this thread exists as titled. Why is it not "Ultralight's anti-Rob thread"? Since when does someone get to start a thread for someone else, putting words in their mouth?

This seems like ganging up on someone to mock them. I am really bothered by this, frankly.
    Have you read my flippin' comments on this thread?!?! I am not anti-Rob.

I disagree with Rob on some issues, but I am not anti-Rob. Read my comments on this thread.
    Read. My. Comments.

That is what I meant.
    As someone who has been an Admin in several other forums, I can empathize with Alan's position. Beyond the post in which Rob associated hearing Petty's music with where he was at the time, that thread took a substantial veer off-topic. Part of an admin's job is to keep threads on-topic. Extended discussion of political stances, relegating discussion of Petty's death (or anything musical) to insignificance, is off-topic. An Admin has a choice: ignore off-topic content for extended times, therefore allowing any and all future threads to be similarly bowdlerized -- or do something about it.

In this case, UL took action and Alan, true to my experience here on SLF, has taken his -- pardon the word choice and I do not mean this in any negative sense -- libertarian approach to thread management. Personally, I find the thread to be duplicative of others in the Open Forum. But it will live or die on its own. The Admin's alternative, IMHO, was to stop the conversation in the Petty thread, which, I think, would be more directly interpreted as "censorship".

Though I don't understand/agree with Rob's point of view, it's fine with me that he believes it. But I don't want to see discussion of that PoV in threads that have nothing to do with it. I've quit participating in threads which started or have turned in the direction of Rob's PoV; frankly out of a personal belief that anger is not a stopping place. My choice. But allowing that discussion in non-associated threads reduces the value of this forum to me and, as a result, my participation. Maybe no one else cares about that. But I do. I think the action taken so far is far more amenable than other choices which could have been made.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks, Steve and Alan, I see your point now; I did not before.

A discussion about why we live where we live (neighborhood, city, state, country) is good and actually ties in to simple
    living very much. What do we want out of life and how does the place we live support that?

Many of us here are contemplating a move, not all to another country however (but my new dream place is Alba Lulia, Romania, haha) so always a good topic.

A rigid, narrowly focused, repeated ad nauseum view that America is bad for two or three reaons isnt of interest to me having 1) heard it about a zillion times and 2) disrespect for the realities it ignores.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-5-17 at 3:02pm.

Thread Information