Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rob's anti-America thread

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    A discussion about why we live where we live (neighborhood, city, state, country) is good and actually ties in to simple
    living very much. What do we want out of life and how does the place we live support that?

Many of us here are contemplating a move, not all to another country however (but my new dream place is Alba Lulia, Romania, haha) so always a good topic..
    IL, I like your idea for a new thread about this! Maybe you could start one! I am always thinking about living someplace different, as are many of us. I would like to hear more about Romania, too.

If Rob wants to set up a quasi-blog like WS's "Daily Bread" thread (which I rather like), I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. I don't see a need for the rest of us to quarantine him, however. Nobody's forced to read his posts.

I do like IL's idea about hearing people's various current or aspirational choice of places to live. I think that would be extremely interesting.

I would love to live in Poland from May-oct every year. The country is beautiful and the cost of living very low. However, I have 3 dogs so that is not going to happen. My DIL is from Poland and was a teacher there. She can't teach here as we don't recognize her degree. She wasn't looking to leave Poland but just happened to meet my son and the rest is history. She kept her citizenship although she became a citizen here too. They wanted to keep their options open and she uses her free healthcare when she goes home. She says that even with Poland's LCOL they are better off here. Even with her working an unskilled job. Wages there are low and jobs are scarce. There is no utopia. My secretary was raised by a Dad that had extreme views on certain subjects and even today at age 65 she still quotes him. I never wanted to mold my kids into what I believed but wanted them to develop there own beliefs.

I didn't read the original post, but I get the drift from reading the follow-ups.

Maybe barrios have changed with time and La Migra. My SO was raised in the 91950 before it had a zip code, and he has nothing but wonderful memories of life in National City. No one in his family knows if his father came to this country legally and no one cares. As the song goes "those were the days."

He does have a memory of being stopped by the police when he was coming home after curfew from his job at a bowling alley. The officer gave him a ride home in his squad car and delivered him to his mother. That probably wouldn't be done now.

I don't doubt that there is (justified) fear and loathing in the 85006, and I'm pretty pessimistic about the direction the country is going under this gang of mean-spirited plutocrats, but I can't help but think there is a lot of joy still to be had. I'd focus on that. No place in the world is without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I do like IL's idea about hearing people's various current or aspirational choice of places to live. I think that would be extremely interesting.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I notice this board is really not about simple living anymore. It is about every topic anyone wants to post about and that is ok. There used to be frugal board out there that was only frugal topics, but veered off course and now gone. Sometimes I wonder if this is the future of this board too.
    I spent most my time reading this forum before I finally posted, but unfortunately I agree with BikingLady. The reason I started looking into simple living, is because of a thread in a bicycle forum, under living car free titled how simply do you live? I've always desired simple living. But reading about it solidifies it. To me simple living is about peace and harmony. It's about contentment. It's about working hard, playing hard and not working yourself to death. It's about doing better and bringing others along as well. As far as anti-America, my belief teaches me to, "seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare." Amen. God Bless America

Thread Information