Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Country Curtains going out of business after 60 years

ANM: I suspect they are better know in the Northeast. I've actually even been in a couple of their brick and mortar stores. The same family owns the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, MA.
    My latest catalog has several dog-eared pages. I'll have to take a really close look; I guess it's now or never.
    To Biking Lady's point, I think they overspent on direct mail. I've probably received 2 catalogs a month for at least 20 years, and I never bought enough curtains to justify that, does anyone?

I had been eyeballing their wares for our house here but mostly out of my price range. Instead, I went to Goodwill and found some brand new muslin curtain panels and refashioned them for the intended window.

Oh, I'm sad. when DH and I bought our first house we splurged on curtains from them. I had them for ages - 10 years at least- natural colored muslin with natural colored fringe. I wove ribbon or bias tape through the tops of the fringe and changed the color of it from time to time, which, along with a new throw rug (which I wove from rags and scraps) and a new sheet tucked around our second-hand sofa as a slipcover, constituted "redecorating" our living room for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    amazon strikes again?? Lots o cheap Chinese curtains.

I am thinking more like the big radio advertisers (blinds dot xxx, etc). I never even heard of this company. I got rid of the drapes that were in some of the house after I bought it (harvest gold, and not quite avocado green), and couldn't really find inexpensive ones (limited budget when bought my house). I have been thinking of getting some again, for both the light/darkness factor, and more importantly, the insulating factor with the windows. (always seemed warmer with them)

Yes, for those of you who said they are beyond the frugal budget, I would agree, but those curtains amortized out over the decades I've used them would be pretty cheap overall... Plus, over the years I have also made my own curtains or inherited curtains from my MIL, and I never spend more than a few bucks for the hardware (the rods can cost more than the curtains!).

There are some things of high quality that just make me smile, and my curtains from this store were one of those things. Was happy to splurge a little of my life energy on them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, for those of you who said they are beyond the frugal budget, I would agree, but those curtains amortized out over the decades I've used them would be pretty cheap overall... Plus, over the years I have also made my own curtains or inherited curtains from my MIL, and I never spend more than a few bucks for the hardware (the rods can cost more than the curtains!).

There are some things of high quality that just make me smile, and my curtains from this store were one of those things. Was happy to splurge a little of my life energy on them.
    A mai reason I dont spend money on curtains is that we have so many animals here, the hair would cling to fabirc. After a few years it would be coated in hair.

Thread Information