Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Country Curtains going out of business after 60 years

Country Curtains going out of business after 60 years

I'm a bit embarrassed to post grief over a store closing, especially on a simple living forum, but I just got a "Going Out of Business" email--everything is on sale. The second-generation owner posted a letter expressing heartbreak that they have been unable to remain sustainable financially, and after 60 years they are liquidating the business. They said it's current market forces, and I also suspect that "country curtains" are not appealing to younger homeowners.

But I have bought curtains from them since I had my first home in 1977. I would drool over their catalogues, and my spending was only kept at bay because I ran out of windows to dress with their products. I have always been in sync with their style, and their quality is unmatched.

As recently as July I bought beautiful panels with cut-outs in the shapes of birds and dragonflies for my bedroom windows, which I had just freshly painted.

If any of you are Country Curtain fans, this is a good time to shop.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm a bit embarrassed to post grief over a store closing, especially on a simple living forum, but I just got a "Going Out of Business" email--everything is on sale. The second-generation owner posted a letter expressing heartbreak that they have been unable to remain sustainable financially, and after 60 years they are liquidating the business. They said it's current market forces, and I also suspect that "country curtains" are not appealing to younger homeowners.

But I have bought curtains from them since I had my first home in 1977. I would drool over their catalogues, and my spending was only kept at bay because I ran out of windows to dress with their products. I have always been in sync with their style, and their quality is unmatched.

As recently as July I bought beautiful panels with cut-outs in the shapes of birds and dragonflies for my bedroom windows, which I had just freshly painted.

If any of you are Country Curtain fans, this is a good time to shop.
    Oh this is such sad news! I remember poring over those catalogues for my first house in 1982. I remember lusting after the thermal curtains!

Its been interesting to me how many businesses have gone out of business the last few months...long standing ones too! Sorry to see it go, though I never bought anything from them since I've always made my own drapes, curtains, pillows. Even looking over their sales prices it's still out of my frugal budget.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Its been interesting to me how many businesses have gone out of business the last few months...long standing ones too! Sorry to see it go, though I never bought anything from them since I've always made my own drapes, curtains, pillows. Even looking over their sales prices it's still out of my frugal budget.
    I am sorry to see them go, though I never bought from them, I remember poring over their catalogs. They were too far out of my price range though I was tempted to purchase from them at times. At those moments, frugality and the fact I would make my own usually steered me away.

Still a shame and I agree it's been weird to see many longstanding businesses go, including some local ones here. One of my favorite restaurants, which had been around for some 50 years, just closed. Owner wanted to retire, kids didn't want to take it on, he couldn't sell the business either as a business or the property, so he and his wife just closed up shop, much to the sorrow of a solid and faithful customer base.

I bought one set in..let me think..1997. A very cute pink and white check kitchen window set. I received catalogs for years maybe last one was last year. I would comment they lost any money they ever made on the one set they sold me sending catalogs all these years.

Pity, cute and much of it made in the U.S.A. as well. Never heard of them until now though (maybe that is why they are going out of business, noone has heard of them), and can't say I'm in desperate need of curtains today. As for home decorating following styles as if it was clothing, I find that beyond ridiculous.
    Trees don't grow on money

I bought a set of white seersucker curtains for the kitchen and used them until they started shredding- over 10 years I'm sure. I made the replacement pair ( I HATE making curtains) as the fabric swatches Country Curtains sent were too flimsy for what I wanted. I also had some white living room curtains and bought fabric, too to make the curtain for the door. They also lasted a LONG time.

amazon strikes again?? Lots o cheap Chinese curtains.

Oh no, Catherine I am equally sad. Most of my curtain purchases over the years have been from them.

You people are fancy. My window treatments are blinds and a few fabric toppers, toppers made by me. A couple of years ago I added vintage saris to our 3 living room windows, about $50 total.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-5-17 at 9:30pm.

Thread Information