Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maker Faire one week away?! I have questions for you all

Maker Faire one week away?! I have questions for you all

Okay there are some people who have done craft shows and other things before. I have a 10X10 space with a table and 2 chairs. I was going to bring another table along and 2 twin sheets to cover them (what a great idea I saw on Pinterest). I have about 6 trees or structures and about a dozen puppets. I got a tri-fold board with a black background also. I was going to put up samples of crochet elements that you use to create open-form crochet (spirals, cones, branches, rib stich, etc) in bright colors. I will have a few hands on ones as well.

I think I get some kind of banner or way to hang up a background? I will find out at set up the night before since it is not clear from the guide. What do you think of a plain bright sheet with fabric paint or iron on words? My fabric paint items look very nice when I do them. That would be something I could hang in a variety of ways and make this weekend when I have time.

Also I need to get my Etsy store back up! Unless someone else has a great option for online sales that I can put on my postcards I am handing out and have ready in a week. My facebook page is pretty public and I could do the new marketplace they have available as well. I haven't had any luck with Etsy.

Getting a little excited.

Most fairs you have to provide your own walls. Think of a gym and your 10x10 space has a booth on each side and a booth behind. Empty air is clutter but being your first time out you probably don't want to go to the expense of backdrop frame. Maybe you'll luck out and be placed against a wall....but don't count on it. White background is good if your product has a lot of color. Here is one of our simplified corner booths from a wholesale show. 10x15 space. We angled walls built with curtains so we had storage space behind. You can get paint extender poles at Lowes and add hooks to each end to use for drape rods...if you have something to hook those onto. Capture.JPG Read the rules too! Does booth fabric have to be fire resistant? Letting it soak in borax will make your fabric fire resistant or you can buy a bottle of spray.

Are you putting the trees on top of the tables? Great. The most important thing is to get things up to eye viewing range. Most tables are two low. Bed Bath & Beyond and right now Goodwill have simple bed raisers you can use. Capture.JPG Covering your tables with sheets is fine but make sure they don't have a lot of clutter to them (pattern) let your covers be backdrop so your product doesn't have to fight for attention.

DO not sit in a regular folding chair. Get up higher - bring your own bar stool to get you at eye level too. Better yet, stand and interact.Capture.JPG

Oh and as a side note...Etsy will never work unless you work it daily. I had success on there but I worked hard to keep in front (reposted things daily added new things daily) and that was before they opened it up to manufacturers.

Oh did you see this on pinterest? You can create lightweight backdrop with pcp pipes. Id drill holes and secure with zip ties because they'll fall out otherwise and you can't use plumbers glue since that is permanent. Capture.JPG But again...this may be too much expense for your first few times out. Goal is to make some profit not be in the hole.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Great! I have a stool I can bring and I helped a friend with Comic Con so that helps me have some ideas. I don't sit at work often, but I will wear comfortable shoes and my clothes will include my open-form stuff like upcycled goodwill clothes. I am probably not doing the whole backdrop thing this year, since I can't mass produce at all I am not sure about how much selling would net. However I do have garment racks at work that I could maybe borrow that go up to 5-6ft high. I will double check the rules, I think that fire displays are put in a special area that is hopefully not near me!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I will double check the rules, I think that fire displays are put in a special area that is hopefully not near me!
    The problem comes from everyone using extension cords and lights that aren't rated correctly. Most of the shows we did required everyone to have a fire extinguisher too. Have fun. Take notes and observe what is good and bad about booths you see. Our booth display was always changing and adapting.

Helpful things to bring in a tool box because someone is going to yell out "hey, does anyone have..." Tape, duct tape, zip ties, scissors, pliers, rubberbands, safety pins (if you are draping your tables with sheets lower the front to the floor, on the back corners you can do 'hospital corners' and safety pin it and then you have easy access to storage underneath), needle/thread, bandaids, a bit of thin gage wire.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

And it can be very helpful to wear an apron with pockets or a close to body think purse type device should you need to hold any money or a wallet. Cash box is a no no unless someone is with it 100% of the time and it is cumbersome to take to the restroom, etc.

Are you ready?

Eek i hope so. I got a call from sick staff this morning so i have to be in early but i am leaving at 12 and set up starts at 2. I have lots of stuff to show i think, i got a back board to display different types of crochet forms that go into making the puppets. I need to make labels and attach things to it. I need to get together my emergency kit and food and drink items, stool, etc. Of course a current project to work on, do people have some down time they ever need to fill?

I also spent money on the postcards with a color picture and my contact information fo sell things after the faire. I am worried about having enough but that is how much money I had to invest. So i am thinking about just doing half each day and if i run out Saturday i will just say sorry.

And then to make sure work is good. I have someone teaching my yarn arts class, it is very open project based so i am not worried. My boss is taking off today as well but my staff has the emergency phone number of another person. I didn't make firm plans to give my free passes to someone i realize! And that means not having my break person either. But i am not selling so i think it isn't as urgent. I will call my kids and then work it out.

Awesome suggestions already have been made.

Will you need a mini calculator or a phone app that does credit card transactions?

Do you need a wheeled dolly to lug your wares in and out?

I second the suggestion of having a fire extinguisher, and I would add: verify it's pressure charge is OK. I hope you don't need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post

I second the suggestion of having a fire extinguisher, and I would add: verify it's pressure charge is OK. I hope you don't need to use it.
    That reminds me of a funny story. We all finished loading our vans and trucks after an art show and our neighbor slammed his van door shut after his last item and then we saw a cloud of white! He'd slammed the door on his fire extinguisher! All he could do is sit on the curb and finish his beer while his van was coated! Such a mess.

I am not doing any selling this time, just feeling out the market. I know there is a square app that is super easy, but I need someone to help me clean off my phone. I keep on deleting and it still says there is no room. It is older so I think a geeksquad person would be helpful.

I have fold up wagons at work and I am going to borrow one for the weekend, so much easier then multiple trips! also bags and containers that make sense.