Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you want to live?

Having multiple homes really seems like the opposite of simple living. At least for my definition of living simply.

We lived in Wrangle for a time back in the 60's. The big entertainment was drinking and watching bears at the dump. There were no paved roads and by the time we got back on a freeway in Oregon I was no longer used to traveling that fast in a car. It reminded me a lot of Northern Exposure except we didn't have a doctor. One made the rounds and when he was coming in people would line up around the block to be seen.

I like my current arrangement. I split my time between Chicago and Atlanta. In the spring/summer/fall I spend most of my time in Chicago. In the winter more in Atlanta. But Atlanta does have a winter so it's all four seasons.

Having multiple homes really seems like the opposite of simple living. At least for my definition of living simply.
    its everyone's money making scheme these days. Which strikes one as odd when their only scheme is to work, put money in retirement funds, and maybe if somehow able to afford it have a place of their own to live in pretty much, but ... to some extent I'm not sure middle class people even believe in those things anymore, everyone has a side hustle .. no one just has a career, or just has a career and saves and buys a home, everyone is trying to get into the landlord business as well.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    its everyone's money making scheme these days. Which strikes one as odd when their only scheme is to work, put money in retirement funds, and maybe if somehow able to afford it have a place of their own to live in pretty much, but ... to some extent I'm not sure middle class people even believe in those things anymore, everyone has a side hustle .. no one just has a career, or just has a career and saves and buys a home, everyone is trying to get into the landlord business as well.
    That does seem to be true, at least here. From what I've heard from multiple sources "vacation" homes in the areas surrounding the bay area are being scooped up by people who can't afford to buy a home within the bay area. The goal is to rent them out enough via airbnb and the like to cover the cash flow, use them personally on occasion, and build up equity. All the while living in a rental property in San Francisco or the immediate surrounding areas. We've contemplated doing exactly this but ultimately decided to instead plow our savings money into other investments with the plan of purchasing a home with cash in some location cheaper than the bay area when we're ready to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Having 2 small 'doable' homes is simple for us. Our mountain retreat has minimal contents and just enough furnishing to be comfortable. It's just under 2.5h away. It was paid off before we were 50. We love having it there waiting for us. When we retire we will be able to go back and forth freely depending on what weather we want and what mood we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It's terrible, and I'd never do it on purpose! One house is almost more than I can deal with, and the past year I've been stuck with inherited homes we're in the middle of selling, and it is a royal pain.

I wonder how big the air bnb market really is. Does the availa ility of cheap accomodatins cause people to travel more? Ore are they just taking business away from motels, hotels, inss? Probably it is a combinationof both, but I woildnt give anyone a mortgage based on their fantasy of air bnb income.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It's terrible, and I'd never do it on purpose! One house is almost more than I can deal with, and the past year I've been stuck with inherited homes we're in the middle of selling, and it is a royal pain.
    I think it makes a big difference if it's by choice....we have 2 by choice. Both small. Both simple. Both low prop tax and insurance cost. We love our mountain retreat. It's like a different world there.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I wonder how big the air bnb market really is. Does the availa ility of cheap accomodatins cause people to travel more? Ore are they just taking business away from motels, hotels, inss?
    I think the travel market is fungible. There is a market for Airbnb, just as there's a market for Spirit Airlines. But it's not a strong market and I don't know anyone who is listed on Airbnb (or VRBO or others) who is making enough money at that to make it their vocation. I also don't know anyone who actually made money flipping houses. Buying a house to run as an Airbnb strikes me much the same way -- the early people in will make some money, the others will me-too themselves till they regret it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information