Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you want to live?

Where do you want to live?

As requested, here is a thread about places to live. Where we want to live, where we actually live, and why.

More to follow from me...

We actually live in Michigan. OUr kids moved to Maine and have been asking us to follow. While we like it a lot, it seems to be in a housing bubble right now with prices flying upward and inventory going down.

I am also tempted by Virginia, over near the water, which is about six hour drive from my elderly parents in Va. That seems close enough to get out there to help,but still an area I like.

My husband likes mountains and I like ocean, so that is one problem.

I currently live in central Massachusetts. I'm adjacent to a state park (with one lot between, but no houses on my side of the road). On a dirt road. I like this location because so many of the activities I like to do are literally outside my door (bike riding, hiking..)

I'm here because I had lived for 10 years (8 longer than planned) in a condo that had been overpriced, so no one could resell and so it became mostly rental units in a town where residents don't typically take care of their things. I'd had enough of noise, both on the other side of the wall as well as outside where people would run their cars for 20 minutes early in the morning. I wanted a little house on a larger property so I wouldn't have to deal with people in such close proximity.

My dream location (ie when retired so I don't have to think about long commutes to a job) is in coastal Maine. I like being near the ocean, and I imagine Maine folks to have more simple living types than the Boston and suburbs area. I recognize that some of the simple living may be necessity and not choice. I don't need much in terms of "culture", I like being outside and having simple pursuits. Winters I'd like to RV it for a few months, likely the Carolinas or South Florida (family there).

I really enjoy visiting different parts but love where I live right now - southern Ontario has a wonderful 4-season climate; great gardening opportunities; access to convenient amenities, Lake Erie, Shaw and Stratford festivals; travel from Toronto is easy; fantastic food production and down-to-earth people that I have come to know and love.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

This is a cool thread!

Enjoying it so far.

Speaking as a baby boomer who is reading McFaddens' book Aging Together, "the search for a good community" is not just a matter of finding a salubrious geographic location, but also tapping into communal engagement and connecting with people who can be friends. The next time I move, I hope it will be into something like cohousing, or something that approaches Dr. Martin Luther King's ideals of the Beloved Community.

I have lived in WI, KS, TX, Upstate NY and now NV. I love northern Nevada. It has a mild 4 seasons climate and since I have been here 20 years I have lots of friends, etc. WE did move into town and downsize 5 years ago and it is nice to live in a walkable neighborhood. We are also about 45 min's to the mountains. So we will not be moving.

I absolutely LOVE it here on the Seattle Eastside, and it would feel like ripping off a limb to leave here, but most of my friends and family live in Oregon, and as I'm getting older...Ideally, they'd all just move up here, but practically speaking, that's a no-go.

I've been revisiting my old condo complex lately. I found a nice updated 2br 2bath unit a few weeks ago. If I weren't so risk-averse, I would have just made a down payment and started scrambling to get this house sold.

Exterior front.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yppej
    Massachusetts is home but it would be nice to be in a town with a municipal utility.

I found both Toronto and South Florida congested and overpriced. I remember a little about Charlottesville and its racist climate and was not surprised by its recent violence. It"s important to me to live in a progressive area.

That is really tempting and cute. Is it calling you to come home?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I absolutely LOVE it here on the Seattle Eastside, and it would feel like ripping off a limb to leave here, but most of my friends and family live in Oregon, and as I'm getting older...Ideally, they'd all just move up here, but practically speaking, that's a no-go.

I've been revisiting my old condo complex lately. I found a nice updated 2br 2bath unit a few weeks ago. If I weren't so risk-averse, I would have just made a down payment and started scrambling to get this house sold.

Exterior front.jpg
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information