Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you want to live?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Alaska is beautiful but I could not imagine living in such a harsh climate year round and being isolated.
    Parts of Alaska might surprise you. Juneau actually has a rain forest. It's not steamy-hot, but the temperatures are -- umm -- temperate enough to support that kind of biological development. Kind of like Minnesota on steroids.

I'll grant that that may not be to everyone's taste, and it still is harder to get people and goods and all into and out of all of Alaska. But it's not all Igloo City year-round.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Are you talking about the area I just drove through last week? Sacramento to SFO along Rt. 80? It was really beautiful--But that was more to the east. I was dying to take a detour to Muir Woods, but I had a plane to catch. SOMEday I'll get to Muir Woods.
    No, quite a bit west of there. Not nearly as hot and more hills and trees. Although I woke up to this news. :-( So far everyone I know up there is ok, but this is pretty frightening.

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/2-b...-12262945.php#

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Parts of Alaska might surprise you. Juneau actually has a rain forest. It's not steamy-hot, but the temperatures are -- umm -- temperate enough to support that kind of biological development. Kind of like Minnesota on steroids.

I'll grant that that may not be to everyone's taste, and it still is harder to get people and goods and all into and out of all of Alaska. But it's not all Igloo City year-round.
    I lived near the Matanuska Valley which is just north of Anchorage for 3 years in the 70's. It was filled with Minnesotan's and Michiganders who turned it into one of the most fertile farmland areas in the country.

I've been water skiing in the Bering Sea during the summer and sweltered in the sometimes 90* heat near Fairbanks as the Japanese currents bring warm air in from the Pacific. It's funny to see what others think of Alaska.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I went to Alaska during Sept and my Mom was there in July and both times it was cold so I just assumed it was cold there all the time.

We always used to say Alaska has 4 seasons. June, July, August and winter. The water in the swimming lake rarely got above 50. The summer usually had above 70 degrees for a couple of weeks. Lately it has almost hit 90 in Anchorage. Unusual. Ice on the roads from about Sept. to April. May was melting time. When we were there this year in May, there were piles of snow in parking lots. The Samoan Church used holes in their pile to hold coolers of food for potlucks.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    When we were there this year in May, there were piles of snow in parking lots. The Samoan Church used holes in their pile to hold coolers of food for potlucks.
    At Elmendorf AFB, outside Anchorage, clearing snow from the runways resulted in mountains of snow over the winter and at least a little left over through the summer.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Alaska is beautiful but I could not imagine living in such a harsh climate year round and being isolated.
    Recently visited Alaska and found that it did not live up to the hype. Expected it to be majestic (like Glacier). Granted there were a few places but it didn't measure up to the raves IMO. Would never live there or even visit again for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Unusual. Ice on the roads from about Sept. to April. May was melting time. When we were there this year in May, there were piles of snow in parking lots.
    Hey, wait, that sounds like where I live!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Recently visited Alaska and found that it did not live up to the hype. Expected it to be majestic (like Glacier). Granted there were a few places but it didn't measure up to the raves IMO. Would never live there or even visit again for that matter.
    When I looked at my parents' trip photos of Alaska vs the tourist brochures I decided it was not worth the cost to visit there.

In thinking about this more and if I could afford it, I would follow the weather and have two homes as so many people do. A summer place and someplace warm for the winter. Especially as the snow has started flying today. I have relatives and friends with multiple homes and it seems like a lot to keep up with. My brother has two homes so both have to be furnished, maintained and watched over when not in use. Duplicates of everything at each house. Getting furniture to and making repairs on his mountain house is a major endeavor. I have enough issues keeping up with one house.

Thread Information