Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puerto Rico - good news possibility?

Puerto Rico - good news possibility?

I love Puerto Rico with its longterm history in agriculture and wonderful sunshine. It has really good roots to trigger regrowth. What ideas have you discovered for recovering?

What do you think of this idea in the Christian Science https://www.csmonitor.com/Daily/2017...ico?src=shared Monitor?

The 30 Sec. ReadAfter a devastating tornado in Greensburg, Kansas, a decade ago, residents gathered together and declared they were “blessed with a unique opportunity.” The disaster forced the community to look to its “community treasures”: prairie winds and bright sun. Today Greensburg relies mainly on wind and solar power. In rebuilding, residents relied on energy-efficient standards. The benefits from thinking afresh saved the economy and the town. Could Puerto Rico reinvent itself by also thinking afresh? One idea is to return the economy to its roots – literally. Before World War II, Puerto Rico relied mainly on agriculture, a result of its tropical climate and fertile soil. But a social stigma grew up around farming as the island became urbanized and industrialized. In the past few years, however, some entrepreneurs have tried to break that stigma. About 2,000 new farms have been started. Cultivation has risen about 50 percent. Just as in Greensburg, Puerto Rico’s recovery may lie in seeing a blessing after a storm – and by gaining new appreciation of its basic treasure, a rich landscape in which farmers could someday be honored.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    If they rebuilt with the entire electrical grid underground that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If they rebuilt with the entire electrical grid underground that would help.
    As long as it isn't a privatized grid...

Yppej
    A private company would be too cheap to do that.

I think electricity is undergoing huge change. They have the sunshine for solar and eventually solar will become the norm with improved battery storage. Batteries are getting a lot of improvement due to the electric car development.

How many of the members here have ever visited Puerto Rico to see wha the island actually looks like? To me it looks like an egg laying on its side. The top half is wetter and the bottom half is drier. The wind and water streams brought sailing ships to the island from Portugal and the island could be a valuable food supplier. Their coffee is soooo good.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I was reading today that Elon Musk has suggested that Puerto Rico might be a good candidate to replace the old grid with solar. With their power system being almost totally destroyed and outdated even before, that might be a good idea. Of course Tesla would be the suggested company doing the work. He's been donating hundreds of battery storage packs to help during power outages.

Yppej
    I would love to be off the grid. I heard about http:www.smartflower.com but when I contacted the company they did not get back to me.

I would encourage different suppliers to take over the responsibility for different parts of the island and each demonstrate what is possible to the world. Privatization could be beneficial if done wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I was reading today that Elon Musk has suggested that Puerto Rico might be a good candidate to replace the old grid with solar. With their power system being almost totally destroyed and outdated even before, that might be a good idea. Of course Tesla would be the suggested company doing the work. He's been donating hundreds of battery storage packs to help during power outages.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I would encourage different suppliers to take over the responsibility for different parts of the island and each demonstrate what is possible to the world. Privatization could be beneficial if done wisely.
    Maybe more than one technology could make for an interesting large scale test, if it were affordable. Tesla is leading in their field and may have proprietary technology, especially for battery storage. What ever the case, they could be the first large scale proving ground for green energy. It could become an example for large cities in other places.

Since you mentioned it, Razz, you might be interested in this article about a small Montana company that got a great big contract. Sounds like part of your wish is coming true.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...in-puerto-rico

Thread Information