Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Cry for Money

Never Cry for Money

I watch Shark Tank a lot. It's really a fun show. For those unfamiliar/unplugged: A panel of five millionaire/billionaire entrepreneurs listen to starting entrepreneurs' pitches to invest in their businesses, and they either decide to or not.

One of the more arrogant and obnoxious judges, Kevin O'Leary, had just listened to a woman pleading and sobbing that her business was her life and that she would work hard to make good on the investment if they gave it to her.

After she left, before the cut to the commercial, he commented to his fellow panelists, "Never cry for money. It doesn't cry for you."

It was flip and off-hand, but I thought it was a great simple statement. As we know from YMOL, we all have a relationship with money. As with all relationships, there are emotions involved. Motivations for spending, for saving, for giving it an important place for your life, for fear that it will "abandon" you.

I think Kevin's comment said, in less than 10 words, is that it's just money. It's meant to serve us, not the other way around. As my uncle said, "it's just a means of exchange." But somehow it blows up to be so much more--we use it for power, status, identity, security. We invest hours, days, years, decades of our life energy for it.

With our house closing next week, I caught my husband in a tearful moment. He was misty over the fact that all the proceeds of the house next door are going for debt. I think he was hoping that we could continue on the painful path of writing checks every month--checks heavy-laden with interest so that it would have taken us for the rest of our lives to pay it back. He was hoping I'd keep writing the checks, and he could use this last bit of legacy from his mother for a small vacation home in Vermont. He wanted to be the man, the husband, the dad who was able at the end of the day to provide something of value to his family. Something that represented what his mother always wanted for us.

But it's a bit of an illusion. It's just money. It's not your status as husband or dad. It can't bring back your mother. It's just money. The reality is that in my case--the "present" state of my life energy will no longer be dragged down by the past, or mortgaged to the future.

I like that... "Never cry for money. It doesn't cry for you." I should embroider it on a pillow.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well said, Catherine.
    So much of economic theory depends on the idea that people respond logically to events, e.g., if the interest rate is x, then y will happen.
    But humans do tie a lot of emotion into money. The trick is to disengage from that which is difficult when we live in a society where money defines our status.

I agree with the wisdom there. JD Roth has written about how psychology is the critical element in personal finance, and that if it were truly about math, we would all be making totally logical decisions, and nobody would have debt or make senseless purchases.
    I'm glad you're going to be strong and put the proceeds from MIL's house to the sanest use. Freeing yourself from the servitude to debt is surely more important than the grand gesture of a vacation home purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Freeing yourself from the servitude to debt is surely more important than the grand gesture of a vacation home purchase.
    Maybe it's just me, but providing for the security of one's family is a 'husband/dad' thing. This time it's in the form of economic security (freedom from bills). Nothing wrong with that.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

First, I am so excited that you are getting BIL's house moved along and retiring the debt and all that comes with the debt. For me debt is so stressful-- getting rid of that stress is something to celebrate!

I totally get the crying thing, from both sides, I think. We confuse money with the ability to do things for our families, for ourselves; money is potential and as we get older, we worry about dwindling potential and we worry about legacy. It hurts to NOT be able to leave a legacy--but I think that then we get confused and use the money available to us for the wrong things--fail to take care of ourselves, fail to realize just how much it costs to live. The BIL house seems representative of that confusion, that vagueness--it is not okay that it was maintained by the debt that you took on--it was living beyond means, if that makes sense. So you were trying to be kind, to save everyone--but it ends up hurting you with the debt.

I heard a good saying about debt yesterday--that we keep getting situations that tempt us to solve them with debt until we learn the lesson, but that the opportunities to learn the lesson get increasingly painful. So if that is true, then maintaining the house debt to buy a vacation house would be yet another in the escalating lessons--if you had not learned the lesson from the last time you bailed out the house, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I kind of understand both angles on this crying question, I think. We feel the pain and then we grab at our addictive substance of choice to deal with the pain--for some it is booze, for others debt. Better to do what you are doing, and separate out the real issues from the debt response.

SO glad you are going to be out of debt by end of year. What a Christmas present that will be!!

And then save up and pay cash for the vacation house--it will happen!

I agree with never cry for money, or I've made bad decisions ( not stupid one's but finances can get complex) that have cost me, and I don't like it all mind you, but never cry for money. Basically I believe it's unseemly and wrong to complain about or cry for money if you have enough to live. However I have cried when I've lost a job. That one seems so basic as it's just the raw fear of the complete unknown and ultimately uncontrollable (when and if one will get another job etc.) and the feelings of failure that come with losing a job as well. So if she sees her business the same way ..
    Trees don't grow on money

I had a visit from a friend who is exhausted after downsizing to their last home as they both face health issues but can be independent for some time to come, I hope.
    The move was extremely painful as her DH could not give up anything without a huge battle. He wanted the full value for junk or stuff that he had used for years or not used ever. Stuff was piled up in friends' garages, rental units, etc., in order to leave their old house. It took months for extended family to help work through boxes of stuff after the move to realize that they have no place for it. I had tried to tell her that if they had used it or not, if they no longer needed it, simply dispose of it as it had no value for them anymore. Her DH would not budge on anything but physically could not help due to health issues. She is so tired from the struggles for over a year that her new home is not giving her the joy that she had so looked forward to seeing.

Stuff is just stuff and don't cry over money is so true. Both stuff and money are just tools.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We paid off our 30 year mortgage in 9 years. As we got to the end we were like crazy people spending the bare minimum on everything. The day we paid it off we left the credit union and when we got in the car DH burst into tears. He had a lot of health issues and was unsure how long he would be able to work at his present capacity. This took such a burden off us he literally lost it.

I view money as a tool. I hope when the house sells you let yourself cry tears of joy and relief.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I had a visit from a friend who is exhausted after downsizing to their last home as they both face health issues but can be independent for some time to come, I hope.
    The move was extremely painful as her DH could not give up anything without a huge battle. He wanted the full value for junk or stuff that he had used for years or not used ever. Stuff was piled up in friends' garages, rental units, etc., in order to leave their old house. It took months for extended family to help work through boxes of stuff after the move to realize that they have no place for it. I had tried to tell her that if they had used it or not, if they no longer needed it, simply dispose of it as it had no value for them anymore. Her DH would not budge on anything but physically could not help due to health issues. She is so tired from the struggles for over a year that her new home is not giving her the joy that she had so looked forward to seeing.

Stuff is just stuff and don't cry over money is so true. Both stuff and money are just tools.
    Your kids don't want your stuff. We asked our kids and there were very few things they thought would be useful to them. I love that the focus on decluttering continues here. Use up your yarn and fabric, sort through your closet and clean out all your junk drawers. An uncluttered living space brings much peace and calm in your life.

Just asked a question in another post, I find the answer to here. Congratulations, now to see if you can get him moved somewhere that isn't your house.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but providing for the security of one's family is a 'husband/dad' thing. This time it's in the form of economic security (freedom from bills). Nothing wrong with that.
    Not sure what your reading here, but Catherine would be doing the dad/husband thing in this instance, and her husband is wanting to do the wasteful thing of getting another property and continuing the debt, by the way I read it.

Money is not only emotionless, but amoral.

Thread Information