Thread: Credit reports

Credit reports

So I finally got around to pulling my credit reports since the Equifax breach. It's been about 18 months since I last got them. No big surprises, but one little surprise. One of the bureaus attributed a random phone number to me from an area code I've never lived in. Not terribly concerning but I did dispute it. I'm curious to see how that plays out.

Next step, putting freezes at all 3 bureaus this weekend. Currently my credit reports are exceptionally boring and i'd like to keep it that way.

And in other jp1 financial news I'm happy to report that based on whatever silly algorithm Fair Isaac uses it has been determined that I'm now worthy of an 825 score instead of 822 six months ago. I feel so validated. Perhaps they're hoping I'll be inspired to go rack up $59,759 in debt on the $60,500 of open credit card accounts that I apparently have open. Unfortunately for them if that's their hope I'm afraid they will be disappointed. (although I did stop at safeway on the way home and used a credit card for $7.35 on some stuff for dinner tonight so perhaps I actually only have $59,751 in available credit now...)

Yppej
    I am still having issues with Equifax. They finally sent me my credit freeze PIN but it is not a randomly generated number and would be easily guessed by a hacker. They are also refusing to reimburse me the $5.00 it cost for my freeze at Experian, saying it's not their problem. They wrote they were "pleased" to close my complaint ticket and I had 5 days to reopen it. I responded that I was not pleased, serious issues such as potentially having my income tax refunds stolen remained unresolved, and to reopen the ticket. No response. Then I filed a complaint with my state attorney general's offive a couple weeks ago but no word from them so far. I'll give that a month and then try the FTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am still having issues with Equifax. They finally sent me my credit freeze PIN but it is not a randomly generated number and would be easily guessed by a hacker. They are also refusing to reimburse me the $5.00 it cost for my freeze at Experian, saying it's not their problem. They wrote they were "pleased" to close my complaint ticket and I had 5 days to reopen it. I responded that I was not pleased, serious issues such as potentially having my income tax refunds stolen remained unresolved, and to reopen the ticket. No response. Then I filed a complaint with my state attorney general's offive a couple weeks ago but no word from them so far. I'll give that a month and then try the FTC.
    Sorry to hear that you're having so many issues. I'd also suggest filing a complaint with the CFPB. With our current president I have no idea whether you'll accomplish anything (he may not be able to have destroyed everything in the 8 months that he's been "in charge"), so it's worth a try.

Yppej
    Thanks for the suggestion.

OP, I guess I am regulated forever to the under-800 crowd. I dont know why my credit rating is low. i even spent more money last month is Europe and I thought they liked that, and the credit score went down. But I also asked for a bump up in limit, so that probably plays into it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    OP, I guess I am regulated forever to the under-800 crowd. I dont know why my credit rating is low. i even spent more money last month is Europe and I thought they liked that, and the credit score went down. But I also asked for a bump up in limit, so that probably plays into it.
    IL isn't your house paid off? You also don't have car loans right? Credit score goes down when you don't use it or when you pay off credit cards monthly.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    IL isn't your house paid off? You also don't have car loans right? Credit score goes down when you don't use it or when you pay off credit cards monthly.
    I thought that, too, Float, but we haven't had a mortage for 10 years and my husband doesn't have credit cards and his credit score has gone up during that time to over 800, as has mine, but I do have a cc which I pay off monthly.

I've also heard that the score goes up if you actually carry credit card balances. But I haven't carried a balance in over a decade and at most have charged maybe $2,000 in any given month and during that time my score has risen by about 50 points. So who knows. Maybe there's also something to the fact that I have almost $60,000 in available credit that I'm not using.

But I've already received the results of my dispute investigation. They removed the incorrect phone number from my report.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Maybe the bump in spending and the requested increase in limit caused them to think you're on the road to financial ruin...

Thread Information