Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
I retired at 60. You are retiring from a job - that is all. You are not retiring from life. So many men fail to find a purpose for their lives after they quit work.
just as many women as men have problems adjusting. In fact, some women have more problems.

in our case, I retired at 52, DH at 55. So what will you do all day if you don't have to go to work. Really think about it. Are there any causes you truly believe in? One for me is literacy. I volunteer at the library and work on projects that give a lot of money to local schools. DH and I also support our local combat veterans to careers organization. DH teaches adults to swim and I teach quilting. In my classes we make quilts that benefit a program that helps the working poor move into safe affordable housing. A bonus for us is if our kids need us, we can hop in the car on a moments notice and help them. They are very independent, but it is great to know we are there.

What it boils down to is every night you lay your head on the pillow and reflect on your day. Did you make a positive contribution to your family? Your community? Your country?