Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you report this to store management?

Would you report this to store management?

Today I went to Goodwill to buy pants.

I dropped off a bag of clothing donations. Two Goodwill workers were outside of the store, taking donations and shooting the breeze. I handed one of them my bag of clothing, turned around and walked toward the door of the store.

One of them started shouting something which caused me to turn around. The worker kept shouting and i figured out he was saying "hey, Madea! Hey there, Madea! Medea! Do you know Madea? " He was directing his comments to a trans person who had just come out of the Goodwill store. This person had the build and face of a man but was dressed as a female. In case you don't know the idiotic series of films by Tyler Perry, he stars as man who dresses as an old auntie-type woman named "Madea."

This trans person finally shouted back to them, frowning, "no I dont know Madea" and then I walked into the dtore, leaving this outside.

Report this? I am already planning to complain about the lack of hooks in the dressing rooms at this store. This is one of the nicer Goodwill stores in a suburb. Were it the ghetto Goodwill in St. Louis, I wouldnt bother to report anything that is a problem, that is a waste of time.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-6-17 at 9:23am.

If you see something, say something.

Without a doubt, if my employees were acting in that manner I would want to know. Despicable.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Of course you know if it bothered you enough to post the story here you should report it.

Ok, I reported it.

Yppej
    Before Tyler Perry the Wayans brothers used to dress up in drag in offensive skits on In Living Color. The point seemed to be the darker and larger a woman was the more unattractive and uncouth she is. Some of the same people who decry racism favor lighter skinned members of their own race, and mock those with other gender choices. It's hypocritical and disturbing.

I'm glad you reported it, IL. If Goodwill's mission truly is preparing people for the world of work, they need to help employees understand clearly that there will be "others" who still are to be treated respectfully, at least at work if not in life. Calling out "Hey, Medea!" is no less a transgression than calling out "Hey, fatty!" to a heavy-set customer or "Hey, gimpy" to someone who cannot walk "normally". Now whether anything comes of it... but you did the right thing.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

You sure did, IL, and thank you for stepping up.

Glad you reported. Its unacceptable behavior.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Here is the timely and appropriate response from Goodwill management this morning:

"Thank you for taking the time to inform us of this situation. This is no way represents our expectations of our employees and I totally agree, the behavior is unacceptable. You have given enough information that I'm sure we will be able to identify these employees and counsel them accordingly. Again, I thank you for bringing this to our attention. "

Thread Information