Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $30 Challenge

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Cypress: This is a great thread and I hope you won't delete it! From what I have seen of Geila's posts, I am fully convinced that she did not intend any offense. This is just a guess, but I suspect the folks on the west coast have more regular access to inexpensive produce than we do. It is so hard to read/convey tone in online communications. I always assume good intent unless I have no choice but to believe otherwise!
    Thanks rosarugosa. That's very kind of you.

Hmmm... it feels like I've been going around apologizing a lot around here. Maybe I need to take that as a sign and leave the party before I get thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Thanks rosarugosa. That's very kind of you.

Hmmm... it feels like I've been going around apologizing a lot around here. Maybe I need to take that as a sign and leave the party before I get thrown out.
    You are taking this too personally. No one wants you to leave!

Assume 2500 calories a day needed. (Based on 160 pound moderately-active 40 pound male).

Times 7 days is 17500 calories needed, for $30. 583 calories / dollar is our budget.

If you rule out rice/beans, this says to me other legumes (chickpeas, lentils), oats, cabbage, eggs, oils, a few bits of meat.

Cypress, I absolutely ADORE this book--I bought it years again and can't tell you how much I love it

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/mor...eId=PLGoP79700

She was a Mennonite,and she died very young of breast cancer.

The book is fantastic. Lots of different things to think about--I seem to remember a chapter on gleaning food, but that might be my imagination.

I would check Reddit's Food on a Budget for more ideas.

Don't go away Geila; I've really enjoyed a lot of the discussion you've initiated on the forum.
    I think we all just have to realize that it's easy to misunderstand intent/tone in a forum context.

It is easy to misunderstand when you are emailing. You are missing all the other cues you would normally get in a conversation. The more people on the forum the better)

Not to be rude, but Cypress asked a very specific question. What would you buy/make with $30? I really had to think about it to provide some input.

And hey Geila, I've left this board before. I take a big break and return as someone new. It's like an alternative life. Same me. New name. Don't go!

Yppej
    Plantains are cheap and filling.

Hi,I had a bit of luck today. There was a late luncheon for an event I attended at work. I had already eaten my lunch but filled my lunch bowl with a double serving. I said I wasn't a beans and rice fan, but the buffet was Tex Mex so I ended up with rice, black beans and ground beef well cooked. I stopped at the local farm stand and bought $5 of fresh veggies. I sauteed fresh big bell pepper and garden herbs blending in the tex mex foods. It's enough for four meals!

I used to be able to pick fresh pear and apple from an abandoned orchard nearby. The last two years, the orchard must be done as no fruits to give. Oh well.

I bought fresh green beans and will make that chicken soup. I've got pasta, bouillion, garden herbs and carrots. So, that will make a yummy batch of soup for a few days.

My expenses are running high, I needed new glasses, the water bill came in, so, it's lean just now. I can pay the bills but, had to cut into the food budget.

The muffin recipe looks good. I think I have everything but the oats on hand. It's supposed to rain Monday so that may be what I do.

Thanks for the ideas. I live in Massachusetts and everything costs a bit more. I don't think eggs are $1 a carton up here. I buy a local brand called Country Hen Organic at about $2.89 a 1/2 dozen. Even toilet paper is high at $1 a roll. I used to buy store brand but found it cheesy quality. The Scott's lasts longer.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Thread Information