Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: $30 Challenge

What a great score on the luncheon--how clever to add the farmstand vegetables--I never think to do anything like that. My husband tends to be more creative that way. I also make soup and do make that so that it keeps changing as I add things and eat some. I'm sorry your orchards are not providing this year. Maybe there will be cheap deer apples at the gas station,or in people's yards (Michigan is very practical anddown home that way.)

I go to a meeting at the hospital on Thursdays and it is right at 7 in the cafeteria. We usually eat there because for five dollars you can buy a wonderful dinner and it' usually enough for another meal. Last night I had a noodle bowl with steak (becauseI can't eat meat at home due to husband's allergies) peapods, fresh ginger. peppers, cabbage, onions-- enough for lunch today. I know you can eat cheaper at home, but we have had good luck with the portions there.

Cypress: Nice score at the buffet! Is Market Basket in your area? I think they have amazingly good prices, but I'm not sure if they've moved into central or western MA yet.

Yppej
    No you will not find organic eggs for $1 a dozen, but you can get regular ones at Aldi's for that price or less. Market Basket brand soft toilet paper is 8 rolls for $5 plus tax, occasionally on sale for $3.33. And yes they are in central Mass.

There is a Market Basket in central MA. I will be in Oxford tomorrow right close to the store. I'd forgotten about it and will stop in. I often take a simple can of soup and build a pot of soup around it. Take a nice Progresso Tomato Bisque, saute aromatics, cook some zucchini or pepper, add sausage, add the soup on top of that, thin with a can of water and stir in precooked rice or noodles. It goes from one serving to four usually. I have my ways.

I panicked a bit wondering how to eat well until next pay day. My market list is shorter than I thought after I checked the pantry. I may only need:

TP, Milk (soy or almond), cereal, cat food, eggs, pork or chicken, and nuts. I have a coupon for the nuts, and cat food. oh and yoghurt too. I'll stop at the local orchard. Up here, apples and pears can be $4, 5 or 6 a bag - Depending on what''s left, I could pop for a 1/2 dozen cider donuts and have a treat.

My siberian olive tree is in fruit so I can pick off the little berries and enjoy that in the cereal or yoghurt. I'll get by. I harvested fresh thyme and oregano to dry for winter herbs. I've got what I need but will miss having crunchy chips for a week.

Thanks for your help
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Yppej
    I paid 69 cents today for a dizen eggs at Market Basket. Hopefully you found some good deals also.

Cypress, I absolutely ADORE this book--I bought it years again and can't tell you how much I love it

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/mor...eId=PLGoP79700

She was a Mennonite,and she died very young of breast cancer.
    interesting book series from that author, that I had never heard of. Yea what I look at when I'm bored at work ... and kind of off topic, but interesting.
    Trees don't grow on money

I'll go along with Stew-cabbage, potatoes, carrots and some smoke sausage pieces. Great in the microwave. There always pasta, kid love it and just inexpensive spaghetti sauce on top should go over well. Maybe even just butter and salt & pepper. Back in my college days we just gave up eating.

FRUIT! cheap and plentiful Especially apples.

Cypress: I would love to hear a follow-up on how it worked out. Was it easier or more difficult than you expected? Did you find that you were able to eat well with the $30?

Add some frozen peas. I love making pasta and peas.

Thread Information