Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mezzuzahs--random weirdness

Mezzuzahs--random weirdness

I should just start a W.T.F? thread today, haha.

Last week, two days before Yom Kippur, DH found a baggie of mezzuzahs on top of our mailbox. Yes, mezzuzahs. Random as hell.Photo below.

If I were a person who found meaning in random events I would say that my dead mother was urging me to contemplate my life and repent. this is a sign. She was Jewish.

But I am not such a person and I do not believe they were truly meant for me, so I put out notice on Nextdoor asking if they belonged to anyone. No one claims them but two people offered to take them to their synagogue, so today I will drop off this small package of oddity to a nearby person who will take respectful care of them.

This is a the kind of stuff you can do when retired, we have time to deal with small, insignificant things. Or not so insignificant. And contemplate the meaning of these things in the universe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am in the "maybe not so insignificant" and why not think it was your mom? So contemplate and repent, and good for you to getting these to their proper place.

Good for you recognizing what they were as I would have had no idea. Life is an adventure, isn't it?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am in the "maybe not so insignificant" and why not think it was your mom? So contemplate and repent, and good for you to getting these to their proper place.
    Oh you! Not helping! Haha.

Now I think I may keep one of them. I will admit that one of these "speaks" to me via its kitschy medieval style.

Good old mom, offering a selection because she didnt know what style
    I would like.

My first thought was some kids thought the top one was a glass pipe and there for the other pieces were too...but when they couldn't figure out how to 'get lit' with them they dumped them on your mailbox as they were passing by! Can't tell you how many times were were asked if we made pipes when doing shows in St Louis.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh you! Not helping! Haha.

Now I think I may keep one of them. I will admit that one of these "speaks" to me via its kitschy medieval style.

Good old mom, offering a selection because she didnt know what style
    I would like.
    I love that! It sounds like you know where these came from. They are all neat. I would be drawn to the glass one.

What will you do with them?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    What will you do with them?
    Ah well, never mind about keeping them. I just read that is it inappropriate for a gentile to possess these, so I will give all three to a Jewish neighbor. I just finished sending email to her to arrange for pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ah well, never mind about keeping them. I just read that is it inappropriate for a gentile to possess these, so I will give all three to a Jewish neighbor. I just finished sending email to her to arrange for pick up.
    If your mother is Jewish, aren't you Jewish too?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    If your mother is Jewish, aren't you Jewish too?
    That was debated in my family. With spirit.

As I told my mother "If you can decide you are Jewish, I can decide I am NOT Jewish." So no, I am not Jewish and if someone else wishes to consider me Jewish, that is their idea separate from me.

In that spirit it is inappropriate for me to have a Mezuzah

Thread Information