Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pantry preparation: What could you make right now if you couldn't get to a store?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I also have some vitamins!

Good choice <Ultralight>. We have a full freezer and pantry so we could have meals for a week or two without going to the store. My go to, however, would be M&M’s.

I can walk a hundred yards to a riverbank and spin cast for bass.

000_0202.jpg

We could likely eat for a month. I would need only milk or milk powder. And I would miss eggs if I couldn't buy them.

Breads, muffins, beans/rice, chili, burritos, pasta dishes galore (freezer is filled with ratatouille for soup, stew, marina and chili base).
    We've got fish, shredded beef, hamburger, chicken, green beans, corn and lots of blanched kale from the garden.

We would NOT starve

I have a big freezer, a medium freezer, and my fridge freezer. I have lots of canned goods/rice/dried beans. I guess the things I'd miss the most if I couldn't get to the store would be lettuces, spinach, etc.
    My biggest concern is with all the food in the freezers, and having a power failure. We do have a small generator.....but that's a pain. I love being able to cook whatever I want, without having to go to a store to get it right away.
    I'm a food addict. I'm also a food hoarder........but I put dates on everything, so I use the oldest first.

One of my big dreams is having a walk-in pantry for all my stuff, plus pans, pots, etc. Hmmmmm.....doesn't sound like simpler living though......

I don’t know, having alol your kitchen stuff where you can easily see and reach it sounds simpler to me....

so far my new space is working out beautifully.

i don’t know how long the nutritional balance would work, but i have probably a year supply of salt, rice, and jam, a couple months of applesauce, a couple months of flour and sugar, and an ongoing supply of eggs and milk. Wild greens from the yard would probably hold out through November (plantain, onion).

WE can go a month between grocery shopping.

Those of you who say you can go for a month--what would youndo about fruits?

We do have apples 12 months of the year, but they sre prettyndried up by spring. We have some fruits in the freezer, but not many.

our weekly grocery shopping always includes bannanas and milk. If we havent grown them we also need onions and garlic.At this moment we have a refrigerator full of onions. dH grew a bit of garlic this year but it is gone.

Yppej
    You could have dried or canned fruit like applesauce. Amy D. The Frugal Zealot was one who said if it's not in season God didn't mean for me to eat it or words to that effect, as she would not pay high prices for things like fruit brought in during the winter from southern hemisphere countries. Locavores take the same stand for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    You could have dried or canned fruit like applesauce. Amy D. The Frugal Zealot was one who said if it's not in season God didn't mean for me to eat it or words to that effect, as she would not pay high prices for things like fruit brought in during the winter from southern hemisphere countries. Locavores take the same stand for different reasons.
    But is that what people here do?Banannas are an inexpensive source of vitamins and minerals and I dont want DH to go without. I eat an occasional banana, I really do like them.

edited to make sense.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-8-17 at 11:13pm.

I do buy bananas, but if I couldn’t go to the store, my fruit on hand is half a dozen raspberries every other day for the next week or so, half a bushel of apples, two limes, home canned applesauce, two quarts of frozen home grown sour cherries, one can of pineapple, one can of mandarin oranges, one bag of prunes and one large box of raisins.

vegetables are a bigger issue: a bag of peppers, 4lbs of carrots, two small heads of loose leaf lettuce, and two cups of fresh spinach. I do have a yard full of plantain.

Thread Information