Thread: The Godmakers by Frank Herbert

The Godmakers by Frank Herbert

I've never read a Frank Herbert book before. I am not sure why, I just haven't got around to it... until now.

I grabbed a very, very old copy of The Godmakers. I read half of it yesterday. And that is a lot for me, as I am a slow reader.

But wow! This book moves and it is very interesting -- a trippy, far-out plot and compelling characters.

Worth reading! Any thoughts?

Have never really had any exposure to LDS members until we moved here. There is a church nearby and several large families on our street. The families don't have much to do with the rest of the neighbors. However, some of the teenagers do odd jobs like petsitting or lawn mowing for neighbors. The daughters all wear long skirts and have long hair. I am curious to know more though so will seek out the book.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Have never really had any exposure to LDS members until we moved here. There is a church nearby and several large families on our street. The families don't have much to do with the rest of the neighbors. However, some of the teenagers do odd jobs like petsitting or lawn mowing for neighbors. The daughters all wear long skirts and have long hair. I am curious to know more though so will seek out the book.
    Wait... what? There is an LDS connection here?

I LOVE the Dune series, okay it is horribly political and violent as well. I actually want a tattoo that says 'fear is the mind killer' (Litany against fear by the Bene Gesserit). Never read the Godmakers however it looks interesting.

It looks like there is a documentary film about the LDS church also called The Godmakers.

I live near a used book store, so I can get books for a buck or two.

The selection is often weird, old books, tattered and sometimes brittle.

This is where I got The Godmakers.

Hmmm. I guess there are two Godmaker books.

long skirts and long hair is not part of the LDS. Are you sure it's not Mennonite faith?

Hmmm. I guess there are two Godmaker books.
    But there is only one Frank Herbert!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    long skirts and long hair is not part of the LDS. Are you sure it's not Mennonite faith?
    Sorry FLDS, a polygamist group that was related at one point

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Sorry FLDS, a polygamist group that was related at one point
    ah....wasn't aware. But don't think i'll be reading it regardless.

Thread Information