Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Columbus Day

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    This is traditionally the day I plant garlic in my garden. The weather is fine... I will wait for the temperature to warm up a little. I plant cloves from the biggest and best bulbs from the summer harvest. It is a great saving to be self-sufficient in garlic.
    Cool! Great idea!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The postcard is of "Leif the Discoverer", a bronze statue by Anne Whitney. It was erected in 1887, a copy of the same statue she built in Boston.

Son of Erik
    Who sailed from Iceland
    And discovered this continent
    AD 1000

Thanks, catherine.

The deed is done, and the garlic is mulched with pine needles.

Yppej
    You inspired me to go looking for garlic today but two garden centers did not have it. I then tried to find organic at two supermarkets so it wouldn't be sprayed with an antigrowth substance to prevent sprouting but they didn't have it either. I will try Whole Foods Market tomorrow since that is near where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The postcard is of "Leif the Discoverer", a bronze statue by Anne Whitney. It was erected in 1887, a copy of the same statue she built in Boston.

Son of Erik
    Who sailed from Iceland
    And discovered this continent
    AD 1000
    It is indeed. While there is no record of him stopping by Milwaukee for beer, brats and frozen custard, the upper Midwest likes to keep the legend alive. And while some Columbus statues have been vandalized around the country, I'm not aware of any such attacks on Leif the Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You know you've achieved a sort of immortality when the debunkers, deplorers and decriers come out of the woodwork centuries after you're dust. Possibly millions of them all over the Americas; although few seem willing to give up their share of his wicked legacy and return to the Old World.
    Right about now, i'd be happy to--but I'm pretty sure it's not going to welcome a gimpy pensioner with only a few years left on her warranty.

Right about now, i'd be happy to--
    yea i wasn't aware they were offering. But although some settlers to the New World engaged in their genocides against native americans, Europe was ALSO periodically engaging in genocides against various of their people (the obvious and probably less obvious like the Irish potato famine as well). So .... there was nowhere genocide free to be really, live and let live was not so easily attained. Or many people were fairly innocent, but not so many continents were.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    yea i wasn't aware they were offering. But although some settlers to the New World engaged in their genocides against native americans, Europe was ALSO periodically engaging in genocides against various of their people (the obvious and probably less obvious like the Irish potato famine as well). So .... there was nowhere genocide free to be really, live and let live was not so easily attained. Or many people were fairly innocent, but not so many continents were.
    People like to pick and choose which parts of history to be angered or offended by. There's plenty to go around.

Me I'm happy to be the beneficiary of past atrocities I had no part in.

I don't particularly have strong feelings one way or the other about columbus day. After all the reality is that if we didn't have columbus day we'd have some other day named after whatever other dude eventually sailed the ocean blue and figured out that the world had a whole other hemisphere just waiting to be plundered.

Thread Information