Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are you grateful for at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    At this very moment in time, I'm grateful that Jeff Payne, formerly of the Salt Lake City PD, was FINALLY fired. And his commander was demoted two ranks down to an officer.....it took a lot of pressure from activists like myself and also the general disgust of the general public to get this to happen but I'm grateful ...

There is more that I am grateful for, but this one thing stands out the most at the moment. But yeah, add my life partner to the list, too, definitely, and what I am learning on in my new job role. Rob
    It's telling that an officer was (rightfully) fired for roughing up a white nurse, while at least two persons of color have been shot in the back recently by police who are presumably enjoying the customary paid vacation and who will almost certainly not be charged, let alone convicted of anything.

This is a tough question to answer, as I'm grateful for a lot. I guess I'm thankful it finally rained here.

Williamsmith
    I am grateful for all the dedicated professional police officers who make a difference for Americans every day. Mr. Payne was weighed in the balance and found wanting. When the nurse knows the law better than you do, you are in the wrong profession.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's telling that an officer was (rightfully) fired for roughing up a white nurse, while at least two persons of color have been shot in the back recently by police who are presumably enjoying the customary paid vacation and who will almost certainly not be charged, let alone convicted of anything.
    Agreed. I've lived in the 85006 far long enough to realize that were Alex Wubbels not white, the outcome here would likely be very different. But....I'm grateful anyway. It's a start towards police officers realizing they are not Gods and that social media can sometimes successfully end pension accruals. And also middle America, what little is left of it, is learning more and more what the police are truly all about and this can only be a good and liberating thing for lower income Americans going forward. So even though what you have raised is real and true and depressing as hell, Jane, I still have hope and I am still grateful for this outcome in the Payne/Wubbells fiasco. Not only that, but more Americans who would not have been so bold as to smartphone video police before this incident will think twice before not videoing the police in the future - this also fills me with some hope and gratitude. This is going to be a long and winding road with as many over the top plot twists as a Mexican telenovela - but at least issues that have long been spared the harsh reality of the light of day are now being exposed for the ugly reality they are. It's a start anyway and something to be grateful for in my book. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I am grateful for all the dedicated professional police officers who make a difference for Americans every day. Mr. Payne was weighed in the balance and found wanting. When the nurse knows the law better than you do, you are in the wrong profession.
    I very much agree with your last sentence. Rob

I'm grateful that all my friends and acquaintances in napa and sonoma counties (at least as far as I know) are safe. These past few days have been pretty awful, but so far the worst I know personally are some harrowing stories and destroyed property. The number of people still missing is frightening though. I fear that over time a lot of those 'missing' people will become increased fatalities from this disaster.

And I'm grateful that SO and I are able to afford first world medical care. He's been struggling with a rare form of leukemia for 3 years now (undiagnosed until a couple months ago because of its rarity and the peculiarities of how it shows evidence of it's existence). Without 110 units of safely transfused blood (and counting) and some expensive and uncommon meds he would have been dead by now.

I feel grateful for sourdough starter. I have made about 50 pounds of bread with my starter, since I got it from San Francisco last December. Not to mention pancakes and corn bread.

I am hopeful when I take the two inert-seeming jars of starter out of the refrigerator, that I can coax it back to life by feeding it some flour and moving it to a location where the temperature is 70-75F. I love to check on it and watch the gas bubbles rise to the still surface of the white liquid. Signs of life!

Today I a pleased that a friend took me to a new hiking area, only a short ways a way. How did I not know about this wonderful area? A kind man left his farmland for the county to use a nature park in 1986, he passed at 98 years old. I saw more wildlife than I have seen ever hiking. We stood silent till the muskrats resurfaced, the Redhead ducks a flock of at least 30 took off as we approached, deer galore, coyotes poo but did not see any.

Thread Information