Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you grateful for at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    alan, that is great that you will retire soon. Do you have traveling plans?
    I plan to travel each/every/all summer as my wife will continue to teach for a few more years. My only plans for the remainder of each year is to go to bed early and sleep late.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I love not having to set an alarm. I never make an appointment before 10. slowly my dogs have learned to let me sleep in later. We are now up to 8 am. I also can stay up late if I want to. Traveling during the summer sounds great Alan. I hope your wife can join you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I hope your wife can join you soon.
    She actually retired 15 years ago, then eventually began volunteering at a local elementary school working with autistic children. The volunteer position eventually became a full-time job working with children from kindergarten through 5th grade. She loves it too much to stop anytime soon. She's actively trying to convince me that I should volunteer there in retirement, and I'm considering it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Sounds great! I love teaching my 1 college class and don't intend to ever give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    At the moment I'm most grateful for the opportunity to move to the next stage in life. I think I'll retire in the spring, after annual bonuses are dispersed.
    The realization that I can do this and still be financially secure for the rest of my life makes me more than grateful, I think the right word is blessed.
    Congratulations!!! Yes, you/we truly are blessed, although planning had a lot to do with it!

I am just grateful that while having a bad cold for the second time this year I don't have to justify my feeling bad and staying in bed in my pjs for two solid days to anyone. I know I will get over it and don't need a doctor's note for anyone.

I am also grateful that hubby has Amazon Prime hooked up and I can watch all the youtube videos I want and do not have to watch daytime American TV.

I'm grateful that Round 2 of the cold that DW and the grandkids and I have ping-ponged for the last three weeks has been pretty much ignorable today.

I'm grateful that I have a family and a chosen family and that I am welcome and loved in both of them.

I'm grateful that I can live in a modest but safe comfortable house surrounded by items I enjoy and which is shared with people we care about.

It's a pretty good start.

Alan, congratulations on forthcoming retirement! There's much to be said for retiring when one is still young and rich enough to enjoy it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

So many things that sometimes get forgotten.

Grateful for my SO who is very handy and has an incredible work ethic. He's been working almost every day for weeks on my little rental house and has really got the backyard disaster turned around. He's taken 9 trips to the city dump to get rid of everything from fallen palm tree debris (which he had to cut into sections with his chainsaw) to an old broken 12' camper trailer to rusted metal parts that had been buried in the weeds. He'll be finishing off new fencing this week.
    I've paid for materials only, he's never asked me for a dime in compensation. Some people really are angels on this earth.

Also, adding my congratulations to Alan on his upcoming retirement. Join the club!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    At this very moment in time, I'm grateful that Jeff Payne, formerly of the Salt Lake City PD, was FINALLY fired. And his commander was demoted two ranks down to an officer.....it took a lot of pressure from activists like myself and also the general disgust of the general public to get this to happen but I'm grateful - what's left of middle class America is learning that the police are in general an entity to be feared and avoided as much as possible - and also learning that police unions are pure evil and how the police work against most citizens and not for them. I personally believe the tide is turning and with a few more high profile cases like this, real change is possible. Coming from a lower income background, color me grateful that I may live to actually see this. It's certainly long overdue.

There is more that I am grateful for, but this one thing stands out the most at the moment. But yeah, add my life partner to the list, too, definitely, and what I am learning on in my new job role. Rob

Thread Information